New Hilux- any DPF issues doing mainly short trips.

Matthew Storrs

If I could afford it I would get a Rivian pick up truck .  I could put up with the " Buck Rogers " front for the 900hp  , shed loads of torque and independent electric motor at each wheel , all the storage space , 0 - 60 in a nano second and ....no DPF ?

• Like 1

I was just going to say- I would be doing a lot of towing- usually max capacity- but only 10 miles at a time- sometimes less. Would a shorter but heavy burst of engine work such as towing have the same effect as say a motorway trip?

You’d probably be ok yeah, 10 miles non towing would get engine hot and not produce acres of emission build up which would lead to periodic regens being needed. If your towing then you would defo get higher temperatures, regens would be few and far between and more like manufactures state.
Later Euro 5 engines are ok and give little troubles, Euro 6 engines are a different ball game, lot tighter tolerances a less room for error so more stringent regards emitting emissions/sensing of emissions, hence more regens required to keep them running/breathing cleaner.

ad-blue was a game changer in the motor industry, lots of people hate it, but people will have to suck it up cos its here to stay! But thats another story! ?

Does using the expensive diesel make a difference? My huyandai i800 needed a new and expensive dpf at around 80k. I started putting in expensive diesel every few tanks. It will go months only doing short trips ferrying kids about ..

I never rated the super diesel in my nissan that i used for towing, it used to almost “pink” in a way, going from 1st to 2nd gear, i put it down to a characteristic of using said fuel, i think it was due to the breathing of the engine, combined with the fuelling and the egr kicking in to action that it occurred! I found it to be heavier on fuel when towing too. Running on standard premium grade diesel she behaved perfect, never missed a beat and returned 40+ mpg knocking around and 32 - 36 mpg towing!

Supermarket fuels are “ok” but contain higher amounts of bio content, which doesnt burn as cleanly but will be ok on long runs, wouldnt recommend at all for short runs. My advise would be to buy fuel from premium garages, shell/texaco etc but use standard grade.

A BIG NO NO to all is defo do not run your vehicles on commercial/hgv diesel, it contains a much higher % of bio and WILL create issues for you in the long run. Obviously its ok in hgv’s as they have got the extra cubic capacity in the bore to burn off the extra bio content.

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I had a EGR and DPF "delete" done 2 years later and 25k still no issues, sailed through the MOT and no more warning lights.

I did the same on my D22 and it passed all MOT s .In fact it passed one last month according to the bloke I sold it to .  It smelled like a diesel though .

8 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I had a EGR and DPF "delete" done 2 years later and 25k still no issues, sailed through the MOT and no more warning lights.

I know quite a few Dmax owners have gone down this rout. Would have thought it might be quite a nice truck to use once done. For Matt maybe some freewheel hubs on the front and you could run in low range without torque wind up as well. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I know quite a few Dmax owners have gone down this rout. Would have thought it might be quite a nice truck to use once done. For Matt maybe some freewheel hubs on the front and you could run in low range without torque wind up as well. 

Thas the setup i use and it saves the clutch, tyres and gearbox.  Luckily my ole gurl has no ECU's or a DPF and i blanked both EGR's.  So is it a case with these newer vehicles that they either have Adblue or a DPF but not both?  Think i'd prefer the Adblue with no DPF option if it was available.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wicklamulla said:

Thas the setup i use and it saves the clutch, tyres and gearbox.  Luckily my ole gurl has no ECU's or a DPF and i blanked both EGR's.  So is it a case with these newer vehicles that they either have Adblue or a DPF but not both?  Think i'd prefer the Adblue with no DPF option if it was available.

Am I right in thinking you run a Rodeo? 

• Haha 1