New Hilux- any DPF issues doing mainly short trips.

Matthew Storrs

59 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

How do you force the regen mate?

i have a new Hilux and no problems to date.

lots of hills and short journeys but a few motorway journey’s mixed in.

On my Navara It says if the DPF light comes on to drive at 50mph or more till it goes out . not had to do it though .

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rich Rule said:

How do you force the regen mate?

i have a new Hilux and no problems to date.

lots of hills and short journeys but a few motorway journey’s mixed in.

Keep your revs near 3000rpm for a good 15 mins or so. That should clear the DPF. I should’ve said that I do it once a week so it doesn't have to regen as much instead of forcing a regen. You’re essentially forcing through heat into the Particulate Filter and burning off the deposits. 3k is provides enough heat to do this.

• Like 1

As above, keep temp high and constant for a decent period of time, fooling the system in a way. Short journeys with up down the rev range doesnt usually allow for a regen, unless your towing and boosting hard, then that can give a window to allow a regen.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Ratman said:

As above, keep temp high and constant for a decent period of time, fooling the system in a way. Short journeys with up down the rev range doesnt usually allow for a regen, unless your towing and boosting hard, then that can give a window to allow a regen.

I was just going to say- I would be doing a lot of towing- usually max capacity- but only 10 miles at a time- sometimes less. Would a shorter but heavy burst of engine work such as towing have the same effect as say a motorway trip?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I was just going to say- I would be doing a lot of towing- usually max capacity- but only 10 miles at a time- sometimes less. Would a shorter but heavy burst of engine work such as towing have the same effect as say a motorway trip?

I don't have a vehicle with a DPF but my understanding is that it's a ceramic covered in catalyst which need to be a few hundred degrees before they work. On a short journey the catalyst doesn't get hot enough but the sooty particles are too big to pass through the filter matrix, so they are trapped but don't burn, gradually blocking the filter. Pressure sensors  sense the increased back pressure and the logic initiates regeneration by adding fuel. I take it that the raw fuel reacts with the catalyst and starts burning , hence the DPF gets hot and all the accumulated soot starts burning.

So anything that makes the engine work hard gives a hot exhaust which heats the catalyst and allows it to burn up any accumulated soot avoids the need for  this forced heating of the DPF by adding fuel. Avoiding regeneration seems worthwhile on many counts, how much fuel does it use? What if the engine isn't hot enough to ignite a forced regeneration?

When you burn diesel it has nearly no ash and most is very fine but it will also be part of the particulates trapped by the filter. When they burn in the filter the ash probably agglomerates into particles which won't pass through the DPF so over time the DPF will block and need replacing. What I don't understand is if this ash is normally fine enough to pass through the DPF.

At my last work I  used a blow lamp to heat up a DPF and burn it off after a turbo bearing failed and dumped the lubrication oil into the exhaust. Afterwards I shook out a load of light brown ash and couldn't figure whether it was debris picked up by the lubrication oil, ash from burned oil and particulates or the coating of the DPF.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Surely a petrol engine could solve a lot of issues.

I started my forestry business some 45 years ago and ran it till 2008. In that time I aimed to work within 20 miles of home and I never ran a diesel vehicle other than the tractors and a very short time with one of the Peugeot 504 pick ups. I reckoned the extra cost of the petrol was easily offset by the longer service interval and lower initial cost of the petrol engined vehicle. I also never wore out a petrol engine.

I do own a diesel car now, which I use for long trips, as it does over 70mpg and is a low insurance class with no road tax. It's also the last model year with no DPF so I cannot drive into a ULEZ.

• Like 1