Pole saws, Battery Vs Petrol?

drinksloe

Alright

Just wondering if many on here have experience with battery pole saws?

Must admit been years since I last done much with a pole saw, great bits of kit but I remember burning a hole in my cutting trousers ( must have been resting exhaust on them) and when ur really pushing the limits the exhaust/hot bit was just in the wrong bit for supporting the saw.

In theory really like the idea of a battery saw, but just worried about it running out of battery when u just need a few more cuts.

Esp if u have traveled to a job

It would be so nice working in almost silence thou.

I can imagine a battery pole saw should work fairly well as ur not on the 'trigger' that much just short bursts.

I did search for similar threads but not been 1 for a while

Theres some battery combi i units around now also. Being looking at the makita combi cordless one so can share batteries

I like my hegde trimmer but not used battery pole saw though I think there was a thread on the husky one being good.

The Husky polesaw (536LiPT5) is brilliant. 50 minutes cutting time on a charge - that's cutting time; each cut only lasts seconds.

When you've been out with the saw a few times you stop worrying about running out of charge.  My saw's first job was reduction of two maiden yews, no cut bigger than 25mm.  The battery was half charged at the end.

Another story but if you buy anything Husky make sure the seller registers the machine; if they don't you may encounter wriggling if it goes wrong (I've just replaced the control unit at 17 months old).

• Like 1

I've used the Stihl battery hedge cutter and the polesaw with the 300 battery. Both are great, the motor is at the saw/cutter end so they are a little bit heavy on the end. The advantage however is that there isn't a long driveshaft running from the motor to the cutter so if the pole gets a little bit bent, from people getting them trapped and bending them, the bend doesn't sap the power out of the cuts. The battery life will last longer than you want to use a polesaw for

• Like 1

Cheers folks, I think I'm still a bit old fashioned and just so used to petrol saws it takes a while to change the mindset.

I should say it's high pruning in front of fencing squads so not ur typical pruning small limbs.

The other days was cutting limbs 14- 18" , the next job were going too just had a 9t digger in with tree shears.

Really could do with hiring 1 first just to make sure.

I see on 1 site some fairly good deals on stihls with 2 batteries and chargers, not found any deals on husky yet. Not cheap when 100 for the charger too.

U could just about afford to buy a cheap mittox pole saw as back up instead of an extra back up battery but sort of defeats the whole point.

Had a hatred of polesaws from my powerline days. Used to use stihl and tried echo and Husqvarna also. Must have had 4 or 5 at one stage and there was always one in for repair.

i bought the battery husqvarna last year mainly for one job but now use it loads, mostly from basket.

.Battery lasts hours as mostly only cutting 2 to 3 inch timber.

also husqvarna polesaws and top handers don’t seem to fling the chain as easily as  stihl ones

• Like 2