alternatives to woodchipping

tim perkins

10 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Thats the spirit.

Tie the carbon up in a bit of old wood for a bit, and lets hope our children deal with it in due course.

Why not tie up for a bit? As the old adage goes every little bit helps. And for info we have not had kids due to environmental concerns.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Why not tie up for a bit? As the old adage goes every little bit helps. And for info we have not had kids due to environmental concerns.

God, you're not one of those types are you? ?

If you really want to save the Earth, you should reproduce so that your eco friendly genes are preserved for posterity and the hopeful saving of this planet.

5 hours ago, marne said:

There is a limited amount of carbon on this planet, no matter if it's currently in Dino-oil, Diesel, wood or in the air. It will always return into organic matter, faster or slower. Relax, no matter what is burnt, it's always neutral. 

Not how I interpreted it. Sure there is finite carbon, but it's only CO2 that is thought to trap heat in the atmosphere, like an insulating blanket. Australia has just passed legislation to mine a coalfield the size of UK and China have approx 200 new coal fired power stations in planning, or under construction. A few thousand vans and chippers is not even going to register.

People like Greta who give up their time to protest get my respect. Australia and China need to understand how badly their actions will affect the whole world. They are like 'doesn't matter to us, we don't have beautiful glaciers anyway'.

methode-times-prod-web-bin-410f0778-7e53-11e9-bfb7-bd6cf21ec69f.thumb.png.bdad31c7ad0253cc127b053d5c82ccc4.pngScreenshot_2019-10-02-12-12-07.thumb.png.49e916b71008071a6b83224a4475fa79.png

Edited by tree-fancier123

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

Thats perfectly fine old fella....

My kids will sort out all our carbon problems on your behalf.

Don't understand.  Any carbon that can be locked up is less in the atmosphere to worry about.  Got nothing to do with kids, it would be in the atmosphere quicker if chipped or burnt having a worse impact on the atmosphere.  Got any better suggestions to add to the discussion?

4 minutes ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Don't understand.  Any carbon that can be locked up is less in the atmosphere to worry about.  Got nothing to do with kids, it would be in the atmosphere quicker if chipped or burnt having a worse impact on the atmosphere.  Got any better suggestions to add to the discussion?

It's pretty simple.

You can’t 'lock carbon up' in wood.  You can just very temporarily confine it there for at best a decade or two.

Carbon can be very successfully ‘locked up’ in the form of oil or coal. Successful until we all started letting it out from underground over the last couple of hundred years.

Many are naive enough to think that you can plant a few hundred trees to ‘offset’ burning fossil fuels (just like many think planting a load of whippy saplings somehow mitigates felling mature trees on a development site). I ain’t one of them, sorry.

The meaningful capture of carbon in wood is a delusion.

If you are worried about carbon, leave it underground. PERIOD.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rob_the_Sparky said:

Got any better suggestions to add to the discussion?

...AND, I offered biochar (which, ironically is one of the few credible suggestions to the original post).

Anyway, what is your great suggestion Rob?  Hope it's better that a cart and a hole, though I doubt it will be as good as the rollin' coal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1