alternatives to woodchipping

tim perkins

Hi I have chipped brush for many years and burn the odd pile of un-chippables  but I am increasingly unhappy about this process due to the effect on the climate of such actions. Has anyone got any bright ideas regarding brushwood/ wood disposal that avoids the use of fossil fuels or burning ? Considered comments welcome ?

3 minutes ago, tim perkins said:

Hi I have chipped brush for many years and burn the odd pile of un-chippables  but I am increasingly unhappy about this process due to the effect on the climate of such actions. Has anyone got any bright ideas regarding brushwood/ wood disposal that avoids the use of fossil fuels or burning ? Considered comments welcome ?

Its carbon neutral. I really dont see what the issue is? 

Im off outside to burn a few plastic barrels in protest at such a thread. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

you won't get volume reduction, but buy a field and dig a massive hole (by hand of course) and transport the arisings to the hole by horse and cart, then thow them in,. When one hole is full, dig the next one. If the field is big enough the stuff in the first hole will have rotted by the time you run out of space

But if he throws the horse and cart in, what will he use to transport material to the second hole?!
  • Haha 2

I’ve been thinking about this recently as well. Piling the brash onsite is the the best option as it rots down slowly and realises carbon slowly, it also creates anature pile good for the bugs, if you can’t then a bonfire is carbon neutral as you are not burning any fossil fuels, taking the brush away on a trailer then nature piling it would be next best but who has the space in a yard for that, taking it away on a trailer and burning it of site is probably releases less carbon than chipping and removing but you’re not supposed to do it, chipping onsite saves a bit of diesel carting it home.
We need to make chipping and removing the exception, not the norm

• Thanks 1

There is a limited amount of carbon on this planet, no matter if it's currently in Dino-oil, Diesel, wood or in the air. It will always return into organic matter, faster or slower. Relax, no matter what is burnt, it's always neutral. 

Edited by marne
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Will Heal said:

I’ve been thinking about this recently as well. Piling the brash onsite is the the best option as it rots down slowly and realises carbon slowly, it also creates anature pile good for the bugs, if you can’t then a bonfire is carbon neutral as you are not burning any fossil fuels, taking the brush away on a trailer then nature piling it would be next best but who has the space in a yard for that, taking it away on a trailer and burning it of site is probably releases less carbon than chipping and removing but you’re not supposed to do it, chipping onsite saves a bit of diesel carting it home.
We need to make chipping and removing the exception, not the norm

Tricky equation though. If you burn it the carbon is released immediately but chipped and left to rot you might delay its release 15 years.

Tim a branch logger would do the volume reduction with less fuel use than a chipper

Edited by Woodworks