House wood-store inspiration

monkeybusiness

I need inspiration and would love to see/hear any ideas the combined genius of Arbtalk may throw up!...

We are going to stick an extension on our house and currently have a blank canvas in terms of design (obviously everything will be subject to planning permission in due course). We have a couple of log burners and a seemingly endless supply of logs - I have recently started splitting into ibcs to minimise manual/double handling (as opposed to splitting into a pile and subsequently re-handling when required for burning). The processing area and ibcs aren’t stored by the house, but I can move them to the house on a set of forks easily.

What I'm looking for is an elegant (read ‘not an eyesore!’) way of storing the logs in the ibcs at the house. (I’m not totally committed to ibcs by the way, and am open to alternate practical solutions). Even better would be a way of storing the logs at the house in such a way that they could be accessed without going outside in the rain when we run out at an inconvenient (ie poorly planned) moment...

Any/all ideas and suggestions welcome!

Any chance you could build the extension with long overhanging eaves? If they could extend say a 1.5m you would then have a covered space which you could store the crate on and maybe have slatted wooden gate to hide them behind. A friend did a large extension with a roof like this but it was on a 1 1/2 story build so was in keeping. He didn't have logs stored under them but you could walk in the dry around the edge of his house.

• Like 1

Guest Gimlet
3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Any chance you could build the extension with long overhanging eaves? If they could extend say a 1.5m you would then have a covered space which you could store the crate on and maybe have slatted wooden gate to hide them behind. A friend did a large extension with a roof like this but it was on a 1 1/2 story build so was in keeping. He didn't have logs stored under them but you could walk in the dry around the edge of his house.

A veranda. Brilliant things. You can store stuff under them and sit outside in the dry even when it's raining. And when you're old you can wear dungarees and sit in rocking chair drinking moonshine. Needs a clear roof if it's over any windows or you'll darken the room. 

Be careful storing firewood under a veranda though. If you're not careful your'll find yourself cutting your logs to length with a tape measure and stacking them end-grain against the wall in a Country Life photo shoot art installation.

From there it's a short step to wearing red corduroys and joining the village wine club.

It need not be a veranda but if you have a blank wall you can build a vented wood structure against it large enough to store your logs (or even put the IBC straight in??).  If you have a door in this wall then instant access to logs from inside and out.

Most of us mere mortals put up with logs racks and/or garage (I store dried logs in there) close to the back door though :)  Don;t get very wet fetching logs into the house as it isn't very far and paths ensure no mud.

Guest Gimlet

I wouldn't be keen of a wood store as part of the house with just a communicating door, like an old fashioned coal hole. Wood stacks attract mice, insects and wood borers. I'd rather have them in separate buildings, maybe with a covered walkway or something in between. 

Mine woodshed is at the other end of the garden which is not ideal when its wet. In an ideal world a nice outbuilding separated from the back door by a clear-roofed yard would suit me perfectly. Fill up the log basket in your slippers without getting wet and somewhere to hang all the rabbit carcasses that I can't be arsed to do til the morning..    

How about some kind of  passive solar heating designed into building with wood store built into it?

Also if extension is really well insulated will be warm enough without burning  as much logs etc

Alot of logs in house =could be a big adittional fire risk any thing in building regs about it maybe?