Wood Processing

Lfservices

Hi folks 

Just curious who here purely runs there firewood business using log splitters?

I currently run an oxdale on a small fordson major aswell as a oxdale towable splitter. 

I sell around 100-200 cubic metres of firewood per winter. 

Do want a processor to speed things up but they are alot of money for someone who's only 22 lol 

Let's see your setups. 

IMG_20190921_161537.jpg

IMG_20190921_182742.jpg

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Lfservices said:

Hi folks 

Just curious who here purely runs there firewood business using log splitters?

I currently run an oxdale on a small fordson major aswell as a oxdale towable splitter. 

I sell around 100-200 cubic metres of firewood per winter. 

Do want a processor to speed things up but they are alot of money for someone who's only 22 lol 

Let's see your setups. 

IMG_20190921_161537.jpg

IMG_20190921_182742.jpg

Nonsense, I bought my first digger at 21, tractor 2 years later. If you’ve got plenty of work for it and know that your in it for a while- then why put restrictions on yourself. Plus the more you can save your body at your age the more you’ll thank yourself later. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Nonsense, I bought my first digger at 21, tractor 2 years later. If you’ve got plenty of work for it and know that your in it for a while- then why put restrictions on yourself. Plus the more you can save your body at your age the more you’ll thank yourself later. 

Doesn't help paying rent on a house every month, van insurance still high etc 

37 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I have just come from my physio for a full work over and without tim i could not even work most of the time so fully agree to look after ones self,Know a good few lads in 50 ish who can no longer do construction sites 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

Im in the same boat at the moment,I have plenty of proccesor sized wood up to 15" or there abouts,where can I hire one from?curious to see how much they speed things up,could be a case of, can the op afford not to get one,

Im happy to purchase one once I see the results,the only experiance i have is watching a bloke faffing around trying to get logs through a Palax one day,looked like hard work compared to a sharp saw and a fast cycle splitter.

I saw a video might have been posted on here but the guy had something like 20 blokes on chainsaws feeding another 20 or so blokes on splitters, the volume was huge think it was in poland, depends a lot an how you are sourcing your timber, if you are buying in processor grade then get a processor it will pay you back in no time, i started out with chainsaw +axe, then splitter, the best thing i bought was a second hand splitta 360, we used to get arb and managed to get the tree surgeons to ring everything sub 10 inch, we would then use wedges to reduce diameter to under 400mm and feed it through, it was still manual but was quick and the quality was superb, with the money earned i added onto the splitta with conveyors and cleaners, and now have the cutter, i don’t do arb timber anymore just buy in processor grade, this year we have done just shy of 500 cubic meters, also have done kindling and log nets, for the nets we just do a few hours here and there in an attempt to break the boredom, here is a video of my set up, it’s all quite old but it works well, the payback time on a processor can be quick if you buy at the right price [emoji106]

• Like 2