Toads!

Steven P

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Isn’t he just? I have a little fish pond 30 yards from the workshop which is his base i guess.

Amazing what wildlife a small body of water can attract.

I made a small pond in the garden this year (with a solar powered fountain), first wildlife I saw in it was a dead hedgehog :(.

(the pond has a ramp but that clearly didn't help)

I don't think I've ever seen a live hedgehog!

On 28/09/2019 at 16:36, Deafhead said:

All the deadwood from my Oak field margins is cut and stacked as bug burrows, I call them cold bonfires as they eventually decay to nothing. This time of the year I am always taking toads, frogs and newts out of the chlorinated swimming pool water and transferring them to a small natural pond. As a sideways comment on nature the charming grey squirrels have just eaten through the leadwork on the chimneys of my sons house.

lead damage.jpeg

Lead it back. Make resin with chili powder in it, put it over the top. ?

7 hours ago, scbk said:

I made a small pond in the garden this year (with a solar powered fountain), first wildlife I saw in it was a dead hedgehog :(.

(the pond has a ramp but that clearly didn't help)

I don't think I've ever seen a live hedgehog!

My fox terrier finds them regularly in our garden, then the drama starts! I have to throw a coat over it, pick it up and put it over the fence, whilst the dog makes a passable impression of a breaching crocodile, leaping up and snapping at the bundle.

Would love to see a live hedgehog in my garden, but even living in rural Wales I have never done so. Did find a poo in my paddock full of beetle wing cases, and something had been eating windfall apples. I hope it's a hedgehog...

Edited by sandspider