Toads!

Steven P

16 hours ago, Ratman said:

Sneaky little sods!!! I’d never of thought squirrels would av took a fancy to lead of all things?! To be hoped your lad don’t find them in time festering somewhere internally because they’ve snuffed it from lead poisoning!
emoji15.pngemoji40.png??

I think lead will feature in the squirrels ultimate demise.

I'll wait and see if he coughs up the nuts to pay the repair bill.

I totally get it, i’m just too much of an animal lover. I was once setting a trap for a rat in my wood pile, caught a bloody hedgehog instead! [emoji849][emoji23] he climbed in for the chocolate peanuts i’d put in there. I got him out, fed him some of my dogs dried biscuit food and he was happy as Larry and away again!
Caught the rat two days later, let it go again down by river at back of work.

14 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I totally get it, i’m just too much of an animal lover. I was once setting a trap for a rat in my wood pile, caught a bloody hedgehog instead! emoji849.pngemoji23.png he climbed in for the chocolate peanuts i’d put in there. I got him out, fed him some of my dogs dried biscuit food and he was happy as Larry and away again!

Ratty . YOU WILL GO TO HEAVEN mate ?

• Like 2

We dry our logs in crates and we find loads of old nests in them come the Autumn. I guess they work well as they offer good protection from larger raptors and have a roof over their heads. Pleased to say not yet found an inhabited nest from our small amount of summer sold logs.

• Like 2

I'll wait and see if he coughs up the nuts to pay the repair bill.

I totally get it, i’m just too much of an animal lover. I was once setting a trap for a rat in my wood pile, caught a bloody hedgehog instead! [emoji849][emoji23] he climbed in for the chocolate peanuts i’d put in there. I got him out, fed him some of my dogs dried biscuit food and he was happy as Larry and away again!

11 hours ago, nepia said:

On the subject of hibernating wasps;  I thought it was queens that hibernated so they could create colonies in the spring but many of the winter log dwellers are wingless.   What's going on there?

Its is the queens as i understand, and the ones I get have wings and are HUUUUGGEEE!  they are sleepy but the warmth of the house brings them, just, from their slumber where upon they fly dozily, like an insectile chinook helicopter, around the house.  annoying.

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

We dry our logs in crates and we find loads of old nests in them come the Autumn. I guess they work well as they offer good protection from larger raptors and have a roof over their heads. Pleased to say not yet found an inhabited nest from our small amount of summer sold logs.

We have an old Ford 3000 that runs the log splitter and is used on a flail mower once a year to sort out a new plantation we put in for a customer (which also gives the tractor a well-needed workout). Last year robins were nesting in the tractor’s cab so the mowing (and splitting) had to wait!