Lucas slaber finish

G13469

What am I doing wrong? When slabbing with my Lucas mill I get a ripple left on the surface of the boards. This is with a new hyperskip chain from Rob d. It was the same after I sharpened it. It cuts nicely in other respects, I'd just like a smoother finish if possible.

Should I take the chain from 10 degree angle to 0 degree?

Or slow down in the cut?

Or just live with a bit of extra sanding.

Thanks for reading

Graham

IMG_20190615_152412.jpg

2 hours ago, agrimog said:

check your sharpening, theres at least one tooth a different length there

If thats the case then I'd highly recommend this grinder for the field. As long as you have a 12v power supply you can sharpen the teeth and rakers to the exact same dimensions. 

https://granberg.com/product/g1012xt-precision-grinder-12v/

2 minutes ago, G13469 said:

I'll have a closer look at the chain. That is how it was cutting with a box fresh chain tho. 

I figured it would be chain related but wanted your opinion.

And the granberg sharpener is on my 'to buy' list. Thanks

I bought mine from Rob D on here. Get the Diamond grinders, they last so long Ive not had to change mine out yet. 

You won’t get any better finish if you’re using hyper skip chain,doesn’t make any difference how you sharpen the cutters. If you worried about the finish you’ll want to use a full comp chain for the best results. Only time I use hyper skip is if I’m cutting boards that are gonna be ripped down and put through a thicknesser after. 

• Like 1