book suggestions

mitchel

Hello,

Wanting to purchase some books to help with tree maintenance/management best pruning techniques for certain types of trees what they respond best to what sort of intervals to prune on. 

A book for tree id's and where they thrive best .

A book for tree diseases, fungus and pests. 

Thanks

Mitch

8 hours ago, mitchel said:

Hello,

Wanting to purchase some books to help with tree maintenance/management best pruning techniques for certain types of trees what they respond best to what sort of intervals to prune on. 

A book for tree id's and where they thrive best .

A book for tree diseases, fungus and pests. 

Thanks

Mitch

Oh, where to start!

I'd have a look at some of the book lists provided by somewhere like Treelife or Askam Bryan. There's so many.

unnamed.jpg

10 hours ago, mitchel said:

what sort of intervals to prune on. 

Why would you be wanting to prune trees at any intervals? They've managed quite well left to themselves, like forever, without human intervention. 

Don't prune unless;

1. to improve fruit production

2. to create a good scaffold of structural limbs around planting time

3. to manage a tree that is becoming hazardous for some reason.

4. it's coppice/pollard management - which is ancient practice intended to produce a high volume of useable small diameter wood.

It's a misconception that trees 'need' pruning (despite what many arb contractors would like you to believe). (you need to be reading Alex Shigo's books about the harms of unnecessary pruning) Good tree management decrees the right tree in the right place, saves a lot of costs in trying to make it 'fit' into is location.

Okay I'll relent on you book query too, (there's a lot of answers already written on here - use the search function :D)

Tree ident - everyone likes 'Collins Tree Guide - Johnson and More'. Bit basic, but a start. Hilliers Manuals adds to the lists, along with Bean, Trees & Shrubs of the British Isles, 4 Vol & pricy. I like Krussmans Manual of Cultivated Conifers, Conifers - Keith Rushforth, Mitchells - Trees of Britain.  And that's before you start of books devoted to particulars species, I've books just on; Japanese cherries, Elm ID, Maple ID, Willows and Poplar etc List goes on.

Pruning books! Where to start....

Arboriculture - Harris, Clark and Matheny

Tree Maintenance, Pirone

RHS - Pruning

Practical Tree Management, An arborists Handbook. Lawrence, Norquay & Liffman

Urban Trees, A practical management guide - Steve CoX

Bob Watson dips into it too, Can't see that on the shelf for the title.

PRUNING OF TREES, SHRUBS & CONIFERS - BROWN (excuse caps lock)

Pests, fungi and diseases.

Arb Assoc guides

Butin, Tree disorders and diseases

Anything by Klaus/Claus Mattheck, particularly Fungal Strategies of wood decay in trees.

Diseases of Shade trees, Manion (USA), 

Principles of forestry pathology, Tainter & Baker (USA)

Hartig's book, can't find that atm, very old but a good grounding read. 

Peace - Pathology of trees and SHRUBS (Old now, but still relevant) 

Diagnosis & Prognosis of the development of wood decay in urban trees - Francis WMR Schwarze (EXpensive, V Good)

Schmidt - Wood & Tree fungi

Diseases of Trees and Shrubs - Sinclaire and Lyon (USA - Very detailed, I've both editions, the first is very cheap now)

Any and all the Research for amenity trees. DSO series are worth a look if you can find them cheap enough, but particularly Diagnosis of ill health in trees, strouts and winter.  Oh and Principals of tree assessment hazard and management, as well as Matthecks 'The body language of trees' (Book 4 of the series) Just buy his encyclopedia, pub a couple of yrs ago.

Do you wish you'd never asked yet? :lol:

Anything and everything written by Shigo, again.

Read him twice for good measure. Then start reading books like, A-Z of tree terms, Companion to British Arboriculture, Phillip Wilson to understand some of the new language in the more weighty tomes, and books on botany, how trees and plants grow, hormones, things like that.

Join the arb assoc as an ordinary member to access their journals, there's a wealth of information been written and available there.

I've missed loads cos I can't be arsed finding them all on the shelves, but others will add to.  Anyway, it's a start.g Luck.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

It's a misconception that trees 'need' pruning

what we want is a book on how to trim big trees to fit into small gardens, not so it's good for the tree, but so it looks good and minimises the chance of the tree dying. I couldn't write that book, I don't have enough experience, but you do. I will suggest a cumbersome title "Everything you need to know to become a successful tree person in the UK, including how to change the bearings on a chipper"

My only suggestions for the first draught - prune  Walnut July/August. If customer asks best time to prune oak and beech say December/Jan after fungal spores have been released.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...