Arb Insurance Companies

sime42

So I'm about to renew my Arb insurance policy, and planning to try ringing around for the best quote. So far I've got the following to try;-

Trust

Arborisk

Treesurgeoninsurance

Lycetts

Arbcover

Towergateinsurance

Any that I've missed off the list?

Thanks guys

Simon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Having a bit more time on my hands (arbcover has a 24 page form to fill in) than usual I have made the effort to look for competitive quotes this year. 

One thing that I have learnt is that the percentages you assign to different operations can make a BIG difference to the premium.  "What percentage of payroll involves using a chainsaw in a tree? On the ground, with chainsaw? On ground without a chainsaw?" FFS?

Annual cost last year with Trust was £4,400, this year quotes back so far:
Trust:    £5,797.12 But quickly reduced to £4,200 after telling them we have much cheaper, apparently by changing ratios..
Arborisk:    £4,523.31
Treesurgeoninsurance    £3,955.88
Lycetts:    Not doing it any more
Arbcover:  yet to reply
Towergate:    £6,972.56
Coversure:    yet to reply

1 hour ago, benedmonds said:

Having a bit more time on my hands (arbcover has a 24 page form to fill in) than usual I have made the effort to look for competitive quotes this year. 

One thing that I have learnt is that the percentages you assign to different operations can make a BIG difference to the premium.  "What percentage of payroll involves using a chainsaw in a tree? On the ground, with chainsaw? On ground without a chainsaw?" FFS?

Annual cost last year with Trust was £4,400, this year quotes back so far:
Trust:    £5,797.12 But quickly reduced to £4,200 after telling them we have much cheaper, apparently by changing ratios..
Arborisk:    £4,523.31
Treesurgeoninsurance    £3,955.88
Lycetts:    Not doing it any more
Arbcover:  yet to reply
Towergate:    £6,972.56
Coversure:    yet to reply

That's one thing that pissed me off with trust is they will try stiff you for more every year. Tried to load my premium up by 700 last year! 

I've spoken to a few people who have all said the same

Hi Mine was up for renewal on 17th march with Treesurgeon insurance, now taking in to consideration we dont do arb work, ours is with in commercial forestry so the sites we work are in the middle of no where, they increased there handling charge from £50 to £125 this year and that was in the small print hardly any one can see, then put about £60 on the price which took total cost up to just shy of £500, when i first went with then 5 yr ago cover was £192 for our work so its a big increase really, then on the last day of cover i got 3 emails and 3 Texts with YOU MUST PAY NOW in the text ,which i take offence to as its trying to pressure you in to paying !!

• Like 1

I was with Trust and had been over 10yrs, they wanted a fair bit more for only a modest increase in turnover with no issues having arisen.. renewed with Arborisk as they halved Trusts quote. Not sure what their ultimate get out clause is, every insurer has one..

My premium was PL and EL and with no engineering plant cover which i left with Trust for this year.

In Trust's defence, I had a theft claim and it was handed swiftly.

2 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Do all the other companies change additional retrospective premiums, as Trust do, if you do more turnover than you estimated?

Pretty standard, in my experience. Its not possible to know what your turnover will be at the beginning of the year and really a dramatic rise in turnover usually reflects an increase in work done and thus and increase in the risk of a claim.

Motor cover often has an annual milage amount, which if exceeded can lead to eye watering costs.

2 hours ago, Martin Tree Care said:

I was with Trust and had been over 10yrs, they wanted a fair bit more for only a modest increase in turnover with no issues having arisen.. renewed with Arborisk as they halved Trusts quote. Not sure what their ultimate get out clause is, every insurer has one..

My premium was PL and EL and with no engineering plant cover which i left with Trust for this year.

In Trust's defence, I had a theft claim and it was handed swiftly.

Did you spot that Arborisk no longer offer "new for old" on saws etc?

This lead me to taking my business elsewhere.

• Like 1