Turkey oak

G13469

I know this has been talked about before but we have a lot of turkey oak to clear, some cracking 3ft dbh stems.

Is it worth trying to market a few lorry loads as cheap sawlog? (Does anyone know a company that might be interested?)

Or should the stems just go with the chip. The site is in Surry

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Turkey oak is good for milling, great medulla rays
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

Got any pictures?  I have a couple of stems here I have been putting off milling.  My research has given me conflicting information.  One source I found a while back stated that Turkey Oak is the famous Wainscote Oak as used in Houses of Parliament (which of course has amazing medullary rays) but other sources I found give other info.  Holm Oak I know has amazing rays, but is usually bendy and splits really badly.  I would love more info on this.  Sadly I am a bit too far away from Surrey to consider a lorry load as the OP is offering but I would like to know for the future.

Got any pictures?  I have a couple of stems here I have been putting off milling.  My research has given me conflicting information.  One source I found a while back stated that Turkey Oak is the famous Wainscote Oak as used in Houses of Parliament (which of course has amazing medullary rays) but other sources I found give other info.  Holm Oak I know has amazing rays, but is usually bendy and splits really badly.  I would love more info on this.  Sadly I am a bit too far away from Surrey to consider a lorry load as the OP is offering but I would like to know for the future.

These are turkey oak:
IMG_3487.jpgIMG_4643.jpgIMG_4645.jpgIMG_4647.jpgIMG_4667.jpgIMG_5366.jpgIMG_5407.jpg
[emoji106]
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Turkey oak is good for milling, great medulla rays
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

It may be good to mill but it's not much good for joinery or outdoor uses. Your photos show it has a wide sapwood band and when we talk about oak for structural or joinery wood we are talking about heartwood.

Also you are selling stuff with "character" which we would only have used for mining timber. I would never have considered putting low grade wood like this on a mill.

It's heavy like holm oak with a high moisture content  and splits during seasoning but I grant this might be mitigated with a good kilning regime.

• Like 1

It may be good to mill but it's not much good for joinery or outdoor uses. Your photos show it has a wide sapwood band and when we talk about oak for structural or joinery wood we are talking about heartwood.

Also you are selling stuff with "character" which we would only have used for mining timber. I would never have considered putting low grade wood like this on a mill.

It's heavy like holm oak with a high moisture content  and splits during seasoning but I grant this might be mitigated with a good kilning regime.

There's a market for it right now.
Resin and bow ties are very fashionable.
Warped and cracked is in.
[emoji106]