Logosol / Panther mills question- manual handling

Bob_z_l

Hi Millers.,

Silly question time again, sorry.

I have a cheap (i.e.non-Granberg) chainsaw mill that I bought from Rob a couple of years ago.

I have really enjoyed using it and have surprised myself with some of the results.

My question (s) is that I'm assuming that you use some sort of handling equipment to get the job onto the trestles that I see in the Logosol and Panther mills.
What do you use?

I ask as the chainsaw milling I can roll or lever the job onto bearers using scaffold pole levers etc. I work on a tight budget as this is still very much a hobby and the investment in a newer mill is significant I was trying to work out what else I need to consider and start saving for..... or am dreaming too much and settle with what I have?

Many thanks

Bob

2 hours ago, Bob_z_l said:

Hi Millers.,

Silly question time again, sorry.

I have a cheap (i.e.non-Granberg) chainsaw mill that I bought from Rob a couple of years ago.

I have really enjoyed using it and have surprised myself with some of the results.

My question (s) is that I'm assuming that you use some sort of handling equipment to get the job onto the trestles that I see in the Logosol and Panther mills.
What do you use?

I ask as the chainsaw milling I can roll or lever the job onto bearers using scaffold pole levers etc. I work on a tight budget as this is still very much a hobby and the investment in a newer mill is significant I was trying to work out what else I need to consider and start saving for..... or am dreaming too much and settle with what I have?

Many thanks

Bob

Get yourself a good Cant Hook. There's a bunch out there and I use the Logrite 60" Version. Much better than using poles to position Logs and about £100. 

When Im using my Alaskan I dont position it on trestles? At least not initially anyway. But then Im not milling small logs. I'll choke it to stop it rolling about and Mill away till the Saw is getting to close to the deck then maybe raise it onto trestles.  Something like the Lososol Smart Pusher might be of use here?  

WWW.LOGOSOL.CO.UK

<h3>The tools that give you extra strength</h3> <p>LOGOSOL’s unique tools for log handling give you extra muscles and a...

Or maybe a Farm Jack?

Out of interest why do you advise a wooden handled Cant Hook? The Stress I put my 60" Cant hook through I seriously doubt a Wooden Handled one would survive long. 

I've got two hooks, one is a stihl yard hook. It's wooden handle is about 3" thick and it does bend under load.
Also use the hook on the 4' stihl felling lever. It's rectangular box section and under load it bends sideways.
Very dangerous.
[emoji106]

2 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I've got two hooks, one is a stihl yard hook. It's wooden handle is about 3" thick and it does bend under load.
Also use the hook on the 4' stihl felling lever. It's rectangular box section and under load it bends sideways.
Very dangerous.
emoji106.png

Ive got one of those 4' felling levers as well and get the sideways bend when trying to use it as a Cant Hook. 

My 60" Logrite Cant Hook has an aluminium Bar though and its great. very little bend. So I guess the wooden handle is down to personal preference. 

• Like 1

This is the set up i brought  from Per at LOGOSOL . Once you get one end up on the first step it does make it easier to lift up on the log bed. I've just fitted a trailer winch to the top of a short accrow prop that works ok on the bigger lumps. 

log mill.jpg

Edited by 54gka
  • Like 2