Tree shears for 5 ton digger

tothby1

• 5 weeks later...

On 26/09/2019 at 10:46, tothby1 said:

Hi looking for tree shear for 5 ton bobcat with rotator . Any one using R S L 12 . or  good or bad . Not for every day use  

not used the RSL but used a couple of other brands, the TMK is a great bit of kit, we run a TMK300 on my Kubota kx161, and its spot on straight from the box. If I was going out to buy one I would probably go for the 200 just due to the weight saving at full reach on the smaller base machines. We used an intermercato on a couple of ha holly clearance and tbh I wouldn't rush to get one. Blade kept coming off, wouldn't touch the size material it said it should put us off running one for a while as was slower than 2 lads on saws would have been.    

On 26/09/2019 at 10:46, tothby1 said:

Hi looking for tree shear for 5 ton bobcat with rotator . Any one using R S L 12 . or  good or bad . Not for every day use  

Forget the Rotator end of! Get a 90 degree Twin Headstock mount and save yourself the hassle.

Rotators and Tree Shears/Grapple saws is a very contentious subject at present.

I’ve blown 7.5k on a Grapple Saw setup I supplied due to the Rotator and the solution is only just coming available 18 months on.

Not a worm drive I’d trust out there on an Excavator at present unless it was a Tiltrotator

Any will do the job but only TMK as I know will offer you a Ram to match the machines pressure.

If you’ve not the pressure for the Ram it’ll not cut end of, flow just makes it fast/slow.

I have a TMK300 with Turbo Ram and Automatic Collector, it’s really powerful and quick.

Eddie.

This popped up again yesterday when a friend called having issues with an Intermercato Shear he’d borrowed from someone and decided to fit to an 8 tonne JCB.

Basically it wouldn’t cut anything even 4” across and he was really struggling.

A quick search revealed that the latest JCB 8 tonners run the Auxiliary circuit at 190 Bar which is very low and the Shear requires 250 to be effective.

JCB are coming out, so it’ll be interesting to report back.

I’ve said before in the Arb diggers thread, people need to get Tree Shears installed and pressure tested to get the most from them.

If you’re not prepared or have anyone capable of adjusting the pressure on the Auxiliary circuit to suit the pressure required for the ram installed on the Shear you’re never going to achieve maximum performance.

On larger machines the pressure is almost guaranteed, but then depending on what type of Shear you install the issues come from the Rotators.

Worm drives need the correct flow rate or they’ll kill themselves, and generally excavator rotate circuits are putting out too much as standard for them.

My advice is simply do your homework,  if the Shear needs 250bar, it needs 250bar, having 230 won’t let it perform to its capacity, it’s like struggling to undo a nut with a ratchet and along comes a 4 ft breaker bar!

All credit to TMK who are being absolutely slaughtered at present by copies springing up everywhere, they really have innovated the hydraulic rams used in shears and optimised a range that can be specified to get the correct one for the machine removing the need for adjustments on most.

Still essential any carrier machine is checked for correct pressure for optimum performance though.

The Intermercato T Cut range have really upped the game, and a correctly setup T Cut 25 is a formidable weapon.

They now cut either side of the blade and have a pretty impressive opening.

I supplied one to go onto a Bobcat E45, it’s really a very light machine for the Shear, but the Operator has gone on to do a massive amount of work with no issues, cutting way above capacity by biting in one side of the blade and then pulling out and going around to the other for the final cut.

Get your pressures checked properly, Shears are expensive, crazy not to get the best from them.

Intermercato T Cut 25, totally different to the previous models.

The reason the blade can be unbolted is so you can use them as a grab. Ideal if you want to step cut a few bits and lift them, as you have a fixed grab at the right angle with massive hold capacity.

5D279595-368A-4334-84C3-D187943637D7.thumb.jpeg.efd5d08cf29fe88ca590cf3424e75cac.jpeg

E7EEE638-2D2E-444B-AEE0-260CE5A37C41.thumb.jpeg.e73ccd24f8fc8b067892870e9a33a93d.jpeg

Eddie.

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 2

Been having good results with our jack 200 on a e26 and cutting up to capacity while still having the ability to be quite dextras with it and like the intermercato the blade can be removed and I don't find it too heavy for a 2.6t machine although a extra counterweight would be handy when reaching sideways on a side slope but good planning and track eliminate can make things a lot more stable.
I am tempted to get the pressure on my bobcat checked after reading what Eddie said as could still improve it if it's down a bit especially with having twin rams in it.