What is the best type of wood you have used with your stove?

9 hours ago, daveatdave said:

it also spits like hell wen you open the door to put another log on 

I have never experienced this behavouir, I have however observed that Hawthorn is very deceiving re apparent dryness(& does its density help to fool me?) and on occassions observed moisture "fizzling" out of the cut ends, much more so than with other wood that I have burned.

12 hours ago, slasherscot said:

beech all the way

Agree. Old, well seasoned beech is one of the best all-rounder. Just as good as ash and doesn't tend to lose so much weight with age so it lasts well. Agree on overstood hazel as well. Smells nice too.

Saying that, I don't think there is a single best species. Different woods have different qualities and the best wood sheds contain a good mixture.

There's a few things I keep separate. I've got a stack of yew. It burns too hot and too fierce for everyday use (especially when you've got a thatched roof) but it's great for an instant hit of warmth when a stove is your only source of heating and it gives a boost when mixed in with other species in very cold weather.

And a stash of dense woods like holly, laurel and big old blackthorn is handy for keeping a fire in overnight or through the day. 

Oak smells nice and gives a cosy looking flame so a basket full is nice at Christmas or any occasion when you've got the stove doors open and you want to see and smell the fire. 

Otherwise, as long as it's seasoned, mix it all in together and chuck it on.

The only one I don't like is horse chestnut because it goes like balsa wood when seasoned, generates little heat and smells of cat piss.

Never noticed it to be honest. But it usually gets burned through the night or during the day when I'm not there. 

A marzipan smell sounds suspiciously like cyanide...

Can't say I recall any particularly strong smell when I've been sawing it up though. But then I only do very small amounts compared with you blokes. 

Haven't got any laurel at the moment but plenty of really big, old blackthorn.

Edited by Gimlet