Milling prices

trigger_andy

Ive got a lad wanting some Oak Milled with my Bandsaw as Ive now got it on the Trailer. Ive told him it will be £30 an hour as Im not overly fussed about doing the job. But what else should I charge for or at least make him aware that he'll be liable for? Ie hitting nails etc. Wear and tear on Blades and all that?

Cheers. :) 

£30 an hour will only cover your overheads.
I charge a flat day rate.
It's all the dicking about before and after which burns your profit.
8 hours of chainsaw milling, plus lunch, driving, sharpening, setting, etc is often 12-15 hours.
Yes charge extra per band hitting inclusions.
What have you got?
Did you get the woodlands?

• Like 2

Forget the hourly rate, give him a day rate.

I charge a day rate with no discount for half day (as there is no such thing as a half day)

It includes fuel, 2 bands and travel upto 50 miles for my postcode.

2 bands will last about 8 hrs providing the bark is clean and the tree is green, if they've been down a while the bark will be dry and brittle, this will dull the teeth quickly, if they've been skidded out of the forest the bark could be full of grit and stones all this will dull the blade.

£30 an hour is working for nothing, don't sell yourself short.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

£30 an hour will only cover your overheads.
I charge a flat day rate.
It's all the dicking about before and after which burns your profit.
8 hours of chainsaw milling, plus lunch, driving, sharpening, setting, etc is often 12-15 hours.
Yes charge extra per band hitting inclusions.
What have you got?
Did you get the woodlands?

Thanks Rough,

Im not really sure what my overheads are. :D Im just doing this for a favour for a Tree Surgeon I know who I get a supply of wood from. He was gonna do it but does not have the time, plus the guy wanting the work done supplies firewood so maybe another good contact to make? Thankfully its not Chainsaw Milling so will be minimal setting up times and its less than 20 minutes from me. 

Ok, I'll let him know he's liable for a new Blade if I hit a nail etc.

For better or worse I ended up getting the Logosol B751. On the whole I like it but Im still annoyed at the price of the Trailer. But it is plated and stamped up for road use, unlike some of the others which Im lead to believe are sold as off-road use only, nudge nudge, wink wink. 

1 hour ago, Forest2Furniture said:

Forget the hourly rate, give him a day rate.

I charge a day rate with no discount for half day (as there is no such thing as a half day)

It includes fuel, 2 bands and travel upto 50 miles for my postcode.

2 bands will last about 8 hrs providing the bark is clean and the tree is green, if they've been down a while the bark will be dry and brittle, this will dull the teeth quickly, if they've been skidded out of the forest the bark could be full of grit and stones all this will dull the blade.

£30 an hour is working for nothing, don't sell yourself short.

Mind if I ask what a day rate is if you're including two bands? What do you do if you need more than 2 bands? Is the two bands just dull and needing a re-sharpen?

cheers

Thanks Rough,

Im not really sure what my overheads are. [emoji3] Im just doing this for a favour for a Tree Surgeon I know who I get a supply of wood from. He was gonna do it but does not have the time, plus the guy wanting the work done supplies firewood so maybe another good contact to make? Thankfully its not Chainsaw Milling so will be minimal setting up times and its less than 20 minutes from me. 

Ok, I'll let him know he's liable for a new Blade if I hit a nail etc.

For better or worse I ended up getting the Logosol B751. On the whole I like it but Im still annoyed at the price of the Trailer. But it is plated and stamped up for road use, unlike some of the others which Im lead to believe are sold as off-road use only, nudge nudge, wink wink. 

What happened with the trailer?
What did it cost?
I'm emailing Logosol thus afternoon for a mate who wants a trailered Logosol 1001.

Just now, Rough Hewn said:

What happened with the trailer?
What did it cost?
I'm emailing Logosol thus afternoon for a mate who wants a trailered Logosol 1001.

Nothing wrong with the Trailer. It just cost me £3600 delivered inc vat. It was not available when I bought the Mill but was told it was on its way. Had I known it was going to cost that much I think I'd have gone for the Woodlands. 

The Trailered B1001 looks like a cracking beast! Comes with toys the B751 does not or cannot be fitted to, as yet. If I had the money Id love one. 

• Like 1