Has the world changed?

Old Mill Tree Care

Just now, aspenarb said:

Does it make any difference? I had never been asked to produce a cert in 62 years until the other day and that was just a glance. You can either do your job or you cant.

Bob

Does it make a difference? Guess that heavily depends on what you plan on doing with your life and the job you wish to do.  I certainly need them for my C.V. 

PS, 62 years working is a fair stint. :D Or are you counting from the time you where born? I can't imagine you where asked to produce that many qualifications at Nursery....

12 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

If you work for any council,large construction firm,rail,electric etc
You will have to show in date tickets at every induction. Employers often will want a copy for filing.
I show mine about once a month now.
emoji106.png

I have a wallet full of tickets Saul, no one has ever asked to see any of them and we work for a fair few big names :dontknow:. I found my original CITB machine ops certs the other day, A4 laminated things and no expiry dates, long  before the introduction of the credit card sized tickets.

Bob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

I have a wallet full of tickets Saul, no one has ever asked to see any of them and we work for a fair few big names :dontknow:. I found my original CITB machine ops certs the other day, A4 laminated things and no expiry dates, long  before the introduction of the credit card sized tickets.

Bob

Been asked once on a Kier job a couple of years ago, one of the tickets they wanted I hadn't refreshed, it got the stage of do you want the job doing, they did, I got on site.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Been asked once on a Kier job a couple of years ago, one of the tickets they wanted I hadn't refreshed, it got the stage of do you want the job doing, they did, I got on site.

Probably a bit different for us :egg:, we normally insist on having sole possession of site and are in there long before any roads,fences , site huts or builders.

Bob

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aspenarb said:

Does it make any difference? I had never been asked to produce a cert in 62 years until the other day and that was just a glance. You can either do your job or you cant.

Bob

While I totally agree with you Bob, box-ticking is becoming increasingly prevalent in all sectors, and arb and forestry maybe more than most.

I’ve met shite cutters with loads of tickets, and brilliant ones with none.

The specific problem I see in arb is that by the time you’re really, really good your body is knackered, with a few notable exceptions (cue ‘I didn’t start climbing till I was 55 and can still run rings round all the young ‘uns’ rants!).

I think climbing at the top level commercially you have a Premier League life expectancy, hence so many new start ups, increased competition, and perpetually depressed prices.

The other big thing is the enjoyment of being in arb.

I like money, don’t get me wrong, but I generally love the job.

I like trees, I like working with them, and Iike working with everyone I work with.

Plumbers, sparks and brickies earn more than us at the coal face, and they’re welcome to it.

Not knocking them at all, just not for me.

As an old gaffer once said ‘The craic is worth ten grand a year!’

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Probably a bit different for us :egg:, we normally insist on having sole possession of site and are in there long before any roads,fences , site huts or builders.

Bob

I'm not sure I would have got on if circumstances had been slightly different, I don't know if you remember me posting pictures of some really dodgy pipework?, it was that job and it was handing over that day, they had to let me on if they wanted it completing. There was us the turf layers and a handful of other trades finishing off. I hate working on construction sites and try my best to avoid them so I very rarely get asked for tickets.

• Like 1

While I totally agree with you Bob, box-ticking is becoming increasingly prevalent in all sectors, and arb and forestry maybe more than most.
I’ve met shite cutters with loads of tickets, and brilliant ones with none.

The specific problem I see in arb is that by the time you’re really, really good your body is knackered, with a few notable exceptions (cue ‘I didn’t start climbing till I was 55 and can still run rings round all the young ‘uns’ rants!).
I think climbing at the top level commercially you have a Premier League life expectancy, hence so many new start ups, increased competition, and perpetually depressed prices.

The other big thing is the enjoyment of being in arb.
I like money, don’t get me wrong, but I generally love the job.
I like trees, I like working with them, and Iike working with everyone I work with.

Plumbers, sparks and brickies earn more than us at the coal face, and they’re welcome to it.
Not knocking them at all, just not for me.
As an old gaffer once said ‘The craic is worth ten grand a year!’

Dedication, respect and pride in a job is a failing characteristic now a days Mark. Good to see and hear someone like yourself still willing to voice and promote your thoughts/beliefs! Ask a young one these days how they feel about their job/career......... their answers wont shine like yours! They want a lot more for a shit load less dedication, respect, gratitude, etc etc!
  • Like 1

Bob

When you run an established firm you'd expect them to be fully ticketed, and as a contractor you'd be responsible for your own insurance etc
I do subbing to random tree firms on a daily/weekly basis, as well as a few private jobs and some small contract works.
Unless it's a personal reference from another firm, or just a small outfit, I get asked for tickets.
Ironically I always ask to see tickets for people who work for me, as sometimes they just lie about qualifications.

• Like 2