Has the world changed?

Old Mill Tree Care

9 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Enquirer !, ffs Andy. Roughy did state his rates.

Enquirer? Is that the Cincinnati or the National Enquirer you're referring to? 

Anyway, maybe Rough can confirm if he actually stated his rates? Im not so sure he did. He states further down what he actually paid the Groundie, not that he stated that in the advertisement. 

To be fair even those paying bottom rates will still state they are paying top rates. Unless you actually include the 'top rate' in the listing I can see why people would not be so keen to inquire. 

In my advert I stated groundies £100-£150 per day minimum
Climbers £150 - £200 per day minimum.
I'll practice what I preach.
Still no takers.
I'll be buying a tractor soon.
[emoji106]
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know this article is a few years old but when benefits pay an equivalent of £23k a year what incentive is there to work for a wage at or close to this amount? The benefits system needs overhauled significantly. 

WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

More than 4,000 jobless singletons have been living on benefits worth more than many full-time salaries.

4 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Arb wages have lagged behind, it's a harsh dangerous job, and you'd be on double the money if you are a plumber/sparky/chippy etc etc.

While I agree it is difficult to find decent staff other trades are NOT getting double the money. 

Radio 4   More or less made some interesting points. Go to about 12 mins in.

A quick summary is lots of these so called "average wages" are rubbish and worked out from a day-rate of self employed  contractors assumed to be working 6 days a week.

According to the ONS Employed rates are as follows: 

Brickies are on £25k a year so £99.20 a day.

Plumbers £30K a year £119 a day.

Roofers £24K a year or £95.23 a day

Electricians 31K a year or £123 a day

As a comparison 

Nurses start at £21K  or £83 a day. and graduate with £54K worth of Debt..

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Health risks for Presidential hopefuls, falling inflation, shark deaths and salary claims

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

In my advert I stated groundies £100-£150 per day minimum
Climbers £150 - £200 per day minimum.
I'll practice what I preach.
Still no takers.
I'll be buying a tractor soon.
emoji106.png

how does a tractor replace a climber ??

WWW.TROVER.COM

A tractor up a tree! And, there's a picnic table underneath.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I know this article is a few years old but when benefits pay an equivalent of £23k a year what incentive is there to work for a wage at or close to this amount? The benefits system needs overhauled significantly. 

WWW.TELEGRAPH.CO.UK

More than 4,000 jobless singletons have been living on benefits worth more than many full-time salaries.

So they are cutting it back to £350 per week? That’s still way too much, infuriating 

7 hours ago, Big J said:

I'm probably the wrong person to contribute towards this thread being a massive misanthrope. I had a super frustrating day dealing with builders merchants yesterday, all of whom were on "Devon Time", failing to understand that (for instance) I might require the hardcore and cold lay tarmac at the same time (or even just before) hiring the whacker plate from them. Staggering inefficiency and ineptitude. 

I don't know how the rest of you handle it, but if I speak to too many people too regularly, it leaves me with the overwhelming urge to buy a cabin deep in the woods in Sweden and never return. At least there would be no fecking Devon lanes there! ?

My kabin is shippable to Sweden! Antique french porcelain shitter thrown in ? however i may beat you to it! K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

So they are cutting it back to £350 per week? That’s still way too much, infuriating 

Then free housing, free council tax, free pension credits, child benefit the list goes on. 

My old man, the lazy scroat that he is has not worked a day in the last 20 years yet will get he full state pension because he gets pension credits. My mum wont as she has missing years. Its a bloody con. 

Anyway, the point being is apart from wanting to better yourself and having some self respect whats the point in knocking your pan in for 40 hours a week when you can pump out a few kids and get a nice three bed house and live off the tax payer and be just as well off? 

I blame Brexit! :D 

• Like 1