Pear technology systems.

Ian Flatters

Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice as I'm updating my surveying. I've been looking at pear technologies and wondered who uses them and what package you use. I will be using it for bs5837 and tree condition surveys but became slightly confused if I only needed

Pt mapper Pro,

Pocket cis

Trimble tdc100 4g

I wasn't sure if the tree minder or maplink were needed to start with. They can always be added on later.

I appreciate your time and advise on this,

Ian

Hi Ian, Are you set on pear? if not have you looked at otiss? means you can run on any old tablet, has done everything I've needed for last few years, and has steadily had more features added.

I came from trimble products and was expecting an ordinary tablet to fail, but still have my original sony x2 despite a lot of wet days, sometimes stick it in a weatherwriter but not often.

My main set-up is Trimble Geo XT, Pocket GIS, PT Mapper and a windows laptop. The hardware is indestructible and completely reliable. PGIS is great and if you get PT Mapper you get a free survey template designer which you can use to customise your data collection. I have got this side of things ruthlessly efficient. Data is output as csv files, and shape files for group plots.  PT Mapper lets you lift your 5837 survey and shape files and a dxf of the site plan straight in and automatically all your rpas spreads cats shadows and tagging and groups are plotted. Probably worth getting the support contract for a while, though, as PTM will regularly throw wobblies or confound you, and the user manual does not have all the answers and you will start to lose your mind figuring out how to get round its foibles. Mind you, any CAD system I have used has been like that.

CSV files convert in one second to Excel spreadsheets for reports.

I have reported on tens of thousands of trees using this setup, and I also use it for risk surveys (probably 100,000 to date) and the cost per tree is now about a penny a tree.

You'll probably know yourself the difference between tablets and stylus devices. I can't be bothered with tablets in the rain or cold (and they're relatively fragile) but the big screen is nice for seeing the whole map area. If it's just one system for me it has to be stylus. I dropped my Geo in a stream last week, just shook it off and it kept working.

A major tip I would offer is that when you're dealing with architects and other consultants they send you HUGE  AutoCAD files that PTM can't open. It only works with dxfs. Get a cheap conversion programme or online convertor, it will save your sanity.

• Like 1