Jump to content
Paul Tomo

Teufelberger ocean friction cord

Recommended Posts

So you can use the hitch climber whilst on the course, if so that’s good news. When I’m ascending I use a small length of cord from the bottom eye of the hitch climber to the O ring on my harness then when I’m descending I take the small length of cord of and then I can reach the prussic to lower myself down. 


Yeah our instructor got us to use a prussic, 3 knot system then whatever we wanted, i could have used my ZZ even but i’d only just got it so went VT hitchclimber.

The examiner asked why i body thrusted up with my ankle and knee ascender on the back of my harness rather than using them ( thought i had to show bodythrusting lol) actual wording was
Ascend the tree and then perform... no stipulation on which climbing system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2019 at 09:41, Dbikeguy said:

 


Yeah our instructor got us to use a prussic, 3 knot system then whatever we wanted, i could have used my ZZ even but i’d only just got it so went VT hitchclimber.

The examiner asked why i body thrusted up with my ankle and knee ascender on the back of my harness rather than using them ( thought i had to show bodythrusting lol) actual wording was
Ascend the tree and then perform... no stipulation on which climbing system.

 

What method did you use to get the rope in the tree and how high did you go?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What method did you use to get the rope in the tree and how high did you go?


You have to hand throw into the tree ( no throw bags)
demonstrating changing over as you climb so mainline up, then lanyard into the next branch, move your mainline and so on)

prob 45-50ft i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

 


You have to hand throw into the tree ( no throw bags)
demonstrating changing over as you climb so mainline up, then lanyard into the next branch, move your mainline and so on)

prob 45-50ft i guess.

 

I guess you need to show how to limb walk as well? I keep practicing throwing the mainline over limbs moving up then using the land yard to progress up the tree, both on the hitch and then using the prussic. I also do limb walking as well and then simulate the use of cutting with chainsaw. Next month the course starts so not long now.

Edited by Paul Tomo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I guess you need to how to limb walk as well?


oh yeah 2 limb walks over 5m from the trunk.
2 rescues - that are up to 3m from the trunk from memory ( you have to show safely using a second system to stop you swinging in with the casualty)
i did a limb walk rescue, using a long lanyard to swing in then down. Then a pole rescue as a 3 man talking the instructor through setting up the ground belay whilst setting up the false anchor on the pole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

 


oh yeah 2 limb walks over 5m from the trunk.
2 rescues - that are up to 3m from the trunk from memory ( you have to show safely using a second system to stop you swinging in with the casualty)
i did a limb walk rescue, using a long lanyard to swing in then down. Then a pole rescue as a 3 man talking the instructor through setting up the ground belay whilst setting up the false anchor on the pole.

 

How can I get the info on how to rescue? Did you know anything about the rescue before you did the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How can I get the info on how to rescue? Did you know anything about the rescue before you did the course.


They will teach you on the course, that’s why you do 5 days on the course before the test.

i know the basics of bridge to bridge connection, plus a second connection onto my climbing system but nothing about a pole rescue before the course.

If you know the very basics of how to climb a tree using the rope and how to use your lanyard, you will be fine to learn everything on the course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dbikeguy said:

 


They will teach you on the course, that’s why you do 5 days on the course before the test.

i know the basics of bridge to bridge connection, plus a second connection onto my climbing system but nothing about a pole rescue before the course.

If you know the very basics of how to climb a tree using the rope and how to use your lanyard, you will be fine to learn everything on the course.

 

Thanks mate for the info that’s good of you. I’ll just keep practicing until course starts, I’ll be camping for the time I’m on the course so I’ll look at at it like it’s an holiday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m just waiting for the delivery of the heat shrink from RS this morning, then I’m of to buy some superglue and then I can sort these friction cords out. I’m going to two hours practicing up a very well grown Beech tree this morning and then its time for dinner.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/10/2019 at 22:30, Dan Maynard said:

I don't think so from B&Q, I ordered mine from RS. Can't remember the exact part number but something like this

 

This is specifically thick walled, adhesive lined so very tough - and more expensive.

 

Hi Dan, I’ve bought some of the 19mm heat shrink from RS, I’ve cut a small section off and tried for the first time to heat shrink it to a 10mm piece of rope that I’m going to use has a land yard and it looks and works and doing what it’s supposed to do. If I’m going to use this heat shrink on 8mm cord should I buy a smaller diameter length of heat shrink, say 12mm shrinking to 3mm or would you know that the 19mm will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.