Jump to content
  • 0
feef

Felling two large trees : poor access

Question

I'm wondering what a ball-park figure might be to get a couple of large trees felled and, ideally, the stumps removed.

 

1 horse chestnut, 1 oak. Both with trunks in excess of 1m in diameter.

 

Access is poor as there's a single garage at the side of the house preventing direct access.

 

The trees are significantly taller than the garden is long, so I'm expecting they'll need to be brought down in sections and possibly even craned out.

No TPO is in effect on either tree

 

I didn't have the foresight to take a photo this morning before leaving, but you can see them on streetview  (screenshot attached)


I'm based in St Neots, Cambs.

Screenshot 2019-09-19 at 09.52.15.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

The only people who can answer the question with a degree of certainty are those you invite to quote.

 

Get three quotes from reputable tree surgeons and pick the one you're happiest with.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

so there's no access at all around the house to the back garden??

have a look at going through a neighbours garden by lifting fence panels out if you can.

otherwise thats going to be  big numbers to remove !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, Cheesy pete said:

so there's no access at all around the house to the back garden??

have a look at going through a neighbours garden by lifting fence panels out if you can.

otherwise thats going to be  big numbers to remove !

There is access between the garage and house/conservatory which is about 6ft wide. It's just not a straight run.  "preventing direct access" was probably a misleadingly poor choice of words :)

Edited by feef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, feef said:

There is access between the garage and house/conservatory which is about 6ft wide. It's just not a straight run.  "preventing direct access" was probably a misleadingly poor choice of words :)

6ft is good access even if not straight. 

Did a elder berry the other week chose of either a 2 ft gate or lift 6ft panel out so panel came out and put chipper hopper through. 

Edited by woody paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, woody paul said:

6ft is good access even if not straight. 

Did a elder berry the other week chose of either a 2 ft gate or lift 6ft panel out so panel came out and put chipper hopper through. 

Did you charge £4k?

 

I think £4k, as Mr Bullman says, is a good starting point for what is proposed. But ask for quotes from reputable local tree surgeons to find out what it will actually cost. They won't be disappointed if you don't accept their quote, but you will know the answer to your question.

 

Out of interest why do you want the trees removed?

Edited by EdwardC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, EdwardC said:

Did you charge £4k?

 

I think £4k, as Mr Bullman says, is a good starting point for what is proposed. But ask for quotes from reputable local tree surgeons to find out what it will actually cost. They won't be disappointed if you don't accept their quote, but you will know the answer to your question.

 

Out of interest why do you want the trees removed?

Why wouldn’t they be disappointed if they’ve gone to the effort of quoting for no result?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Why wouldn’t they be disappointed if they’ve gone to the effort of quoting for no result?

Do you expect to win every job you quote for.

 

If you're winning all the jobs you're invited to price you're to cheap, and something somewhere isn't right with your costings, or you're taking short cuts; no insurance, no training, fly-tipping, cash in hand etc.

 

You win some, you lose some. That's the way it is. Why be disappointed about it.

Edited by EdwardC
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So, yr in Cambridge , yr in Conservation area - those trees were there befr yr house ( well before yr house ! ) an no actual reason why they must go ...... Ummm . " TPO ??? - oh no Mr ! "   Hang on ..... K

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.