County 1124

Billhook

15 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Yes my bet is it will fetch more done up in agricultural spec. Finding a roll bar to replace the loader frame may be a problem.

With the loader on the trailer you have the choice of tugs.

My thoughts exactly 

Do you have to have a roll bar if you have no employees, driving it yourself  and are using it as a piece of classic machinery?

Another thought is that if I mount the crane on the trailer, and power it with the tractor hydraulics, with the controls mounted also on the trailer operated from the ground, are you meant to have a roll cage on the trailer by the controls?

Edited by Billhook

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

My thoughts exactly 

Do you have to have a roll bar if you have no employees, driving it yourself  and are using it as a piece of classic machinery?

Another thought is that if I mount the crane on the trailer, and power it with the tractor hydraulics, with the controls mounted also on the trailer operated from the ground, are you meant to have a roll cage on the trailer by the controls?

I ran one for a number of years , it had the Duncan cab fitted as standard.

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

I doubt it but it would have been fitted with a roll bar as standard for the UK market from about 67, so to be in keeping it would need one.

2 hours ago, Billhook said:

It's a long time since I was an assessor but I would not allow the assessment to go forward  if the operator was anywhere in the operating envelope unless he was protected by FOPS and POPS. Also the exemption under LOLER for loaders not to need a full independent inspection is that the operator is protected.

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt it but it would have been fitted with a roll bar as standard for the UK market from about 67, so to be in keeping it would need one.

It's a long time since I was an assessor but I would not allow the assessment to go forward  if the operator was anywhere in the operating envelope unless he was protected by FOPS and POPS. Also the exemption under LOLER for loaders not to need a full independent inspection is that the operator is protected.

I presume that even if I restored it as a timber tractor, since the cab has been fabricated by a blacksmith with no plates or certificates, it would not pass H & S anyway.  I would think that there are roll over frames for cabless County tractors available which are certified

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Billhook said:

I would think that there are roll over frames for cabless County tractors available which are certified

There are plenty of pictures from shows of cabless Counties. Also Mark Osborn bought the designs and rights for Counties and presumably can make them, if you can afford it.

• 9 months later...
On 20/09/2019 at 22:01, Billhook said:

I presume that even if I restored it as a timber tractor, since the cab has been fabricated by a blacksmith with no plates or certificates, it would not pass H & S anyway.  I would think that there are roll over frames for cabless County tractors available which are certified

@Billhook How far did you get with the 1124?

I have replaced the slew cylinders on mine, rebuilt the starter and bought a new alternator then it should be ready for work.

I'm trying to glue the fibreglass bonnet together as it is in four bits and then some gaps where the fibreglass has fallen off.

20 hours ago, openspaceman said:

@Billhook How far did you get with the 1124?

I have replaced the slew cylinders on mine, rebuilt the starter and bought a new alternator then it should be ready for work.

I'm trying to glue the fibreglass bonnet together as it is in four bits and then some gaps where the fibreglass has fallen off.

We need some pictures!

I have been busy doing other necessary jobs around the house and garden so the poor old County has been a bit neglected at the moment.  Just trying to finish my Lockdown Splitter in the workshop and making a frame to adapt the Lucas slabbing bar into a processor saw.. Looking promising at the moment.  Need to do a heavily edited video for the Tube!

44 minutes ago, Billhook said:

We need some pictures!

I posted a picture a year or two back but don't know how to search for my own pictures.

There's a wreck of one on ebay atm, asking £8k.

Mine needs quite a lot doing  to make it presentable, I see a hole in the manifold and that white cast iron can't be welded. Worse thing is the brakes, they were designed for a 3 tonne Ford 5000 but with the grapple loader, winches and bomford blade the 1124 must be double that. Too daunting a job for me to take on. So it may be worth more with the forestry kit stripped off and sold to a collector.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I posted a picture a year or two back but don't know how to search for my own pictures.

There's a wreck of one on ebay atm, asking £8k.

Mine needs quite a lot doing  to make it presentable, I see a hole in the manifold and that white cast iron can't be welded. Worse thing is the brakes, they were designed for a 3 tonne Ford 5000 but with the grapple loader, winches and bomford blade the 1124 must be double that. Too daunting a job for me to take on. So it may be worth more with the forestry kit stripped off and sold to a collector.

Yes County brakes!  four wheel braking but only powered by two rather feeble Ford 5000 brakes.  My 1124 runs  and functions but is tired.  It has lost one fork of a gear selector which makes finding second gear a delicate matter and to replace it means a gearbox out.  But for my work in the woods, the old Matbro is much more stable, has far more lift and reach and can push or pull itself out of trouble also has many attachments.   The County is retired as a classic I think.

The Matbro brakes are formidable!