Forestry venture

Hi guys. 

I've always had a strong interest in forestry work due to both my dad and grandad running a business doing chestnut coppicing and using it for fencing etc.

Im 22 years old and have been doing some forestry work for the last 3/4 years for myself cutting for firewood to sell. I manage the owners woods in return for the wood. 

I now want to turn my business more towards the forestry/woodland management. Few things I would like to ask, in which I hope some of you may have answers for :)

1. How do you get the clients, that will pay for you to manage their wood etc? 

2. What's the best way to get the type of work? 

If it's small woodland, I'm happy to do it in return for the wood but would really like to be making some money from it now. 

I have my cs30/31 tickets and public liability insurance. 

I have several bits of kit to haul timber out such as tractor and quad bike etc. 

Any advice etc would be much appreciated 

Liam

IMG_20190907_175541.jpg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lfservices said:

East Grinstead, West Sussex 

Have you tried these lot...

SWOG.ORG.UK

The Small Woodlands Owners' Group is a community for woodlands owners and family foresters throughout the UK.

Might be more of the work for wood deal, but you never know.

Good luck with your venture.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You could always set your sights a bit higher, woodland management ‘for the wood’ you’ll be swimming against the tide a bit, no matter how enjoyable it may seem.
Woodland owners will sit back and let you do is as it’s not costing them anything .
Why not buy a bit more kit and progress into the firewood market, and make more money in the process, while still working with wood.

It may also be worth talking to some of the companies that sell woodland to see if they would pass your details on to new owners. They may be able to give you a realistic idea of what people will pay for:

WWW.WOODLANDS.CO.UK

Woodlands.co.uk - providing woods for sale in South East England for enjoyment and conservation.

I know many owners, like myself, will do the work themselves but plenty of people just want to turn up for some camping. It's not unusual for people to pay an annual management charge for a holiday chalet for example so I wonder if there's any chance of getting people to pay an annual management charge to look after their woodland?

Having said that, getting hold of a much larger land owner such as a farmer or two would be ideal.

35 minutes ago, oldwoodcutter said:

You could always set your sights a bit higher, woodland management ‘for the wood’ you’ll be swimming against the tide a bit, no matter how enjoyable it may seem.
Woodland owners will sit back and let you do is as it’s not costing them anything .
Why not buy a bit more kit and progress into the firewood market, and make more money in the process, while still working with wood.

Cheers. Yeah I already do firewood, around 100-200 cubic metre a year.