telephone cable over property

Stihl123

i'm about to buy a house and the neighbours telephone cable comes over my property and fixers at gutter height, it's a bungalow so mega low

i won't even be able to get a skip lorry in yet alone a grabber lorry or similar

i've been trying to find out where i stand with this, seen somewhere that they can do it but has to be at least 3 meters high

can't see how it should be my responsibility as it's not my line and it's way too low but over my property 

anyone point me in the right direction or anything that could help me please?

thanks alot

Edited by Stihl123

5 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

openreach.co.uk/wayleaves

The wire I assume is owned by Openreach, part of BT. To install they would need the agreement of landowners - the term is wayleave.

your lawyer may be able to find some details but openreach should be able to clarify what your options are

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Jon Heuch said:

openreach.co.uk/wayleaves

The wire I assume is owned by Openreach, part of BT. To install they would need the agreement of landowners - the term is wayleave.

your lawyer may be able to find some details but openreach should be able to clarify what your options are

I have experience of Openreach not being able to find and agreement and having to remove and re route the line.

• Thanks 1

i'm about to buy a house and the neighbours telephone cable comes over my property and fixers at gutter height, it's a bungalow so mega low i won't even be able to get a skip lorry in yet alone a grabber lorry or similar

i've been trying to find out where i stand with this, seen somewhere that they can do it but has to be at least 3 meters high

can't see how it should be my responsibility as it's not my line and it's way too low but over my property 

anyone point me in the right direction or anything that could help me please?

thanks alot

Believe they tend to quote Telegraph and Wireless Act or some such thing which supposedly gives them access over the easiest way for them. Still need to either annually pay you a “Wayleave” payment or a one off larger sum, as long as the service isn’t solely to your property.

Buggers did the same to me across my back garden without even an apology. I kept accidentally catching it until they got sick of me and erected four poles out with of my property.

The odd shotgun round through them creates merry f*** too[emoji23]

I now live elsewhere and take an annual payment for a number of electric poles and overhead wires.

Either continually sabotage it and deny knowledge, put up with it or get onto their wayleave dept to get something back.

Do nothing and nothing will happen plus it will be deemed as acceptable [emoji1304]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Looking at it from ther point of view to play devils advocate, its a domestic property.. and how many domestic properties have tipper trucks r grabbers parking up round the back? So when it was installed, above car height, it was suitable and that might their reply - its suitable height fr a domestic property but if you want it raised because the proerry is changing use (they will see it that way if you park plant there) then thats something yo uwill have to pay for.

• Thanks 1

thanks everyone, appreciate the feed back

i'll look into the wayleave, i'll measure it because i very much doubt it's 3 meters high

i wouldn't even be able to get a skip lorry in the drive so it really does interfere with my normal business :D

i won't be parking plant there, just i'll be doing a load of work to the house mate

• we don’t need to enter the property to do it
  • the wires are 3 metres or more
  • they don’t interfere with normal business at the property.

53 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

thanks everyone, appreciate the feed back

i'll look into the wayleave, i'll measure it because i very much doubt it's 3 meters high

i wouldn't even be able to get a skip lorry in the drive so it really does interfere with my normal business :D

i won't be parking plant there, just i'll be doing a load of work to the house mate

• we don’t need to enter the property to do it
  • the wires are 3 metres or more
  • they don’t interfere with normal business at the property.

Ask your solicitor.  There have been similar agreements on both our previous properties (in our case for buried high voltage cable) and it took a while for them to surface.  Including one that gave the electricity board the right to knock down an extension on one house as they had built it in an area that was affected by an exclusion zone around a buried cable.  Worth checking these things...

• Thanks 1