New (ish) woodland.

wrsni

14 hours ago, Commando said:

I do wonder how much follow-up they do on these small schemes though?
Thanks Craig

I've no idea, you would think they don't have the resources although I gather they do use aerial photography to check some cases.

When I spoke to the FC about a felling licence on my small bit of young woodland they mostly seemed worried about too much open space. It didn't help they were working from very old photos and if anything it has too little open space now.

Unless you plan to clear any of the woodland I would have thought you would be ok. You'll probably need to replant any areas that die off, areas of ash for example.

I'm lucky in the fact that mines 20+ years old now and the trees are self seeding. I've been thinning out the ash and in most places hazel is already establishing next to the stumps so my tree coverage is the same.

As for alder, it does coppice well if the stools get enough light to regrow. The added bonus is the deer don't seem overly fond of the regrowth.

Edited by Paul in the woods
  • Like 1

Some good info on birch here:

ACADEMIC.OUP.COM

Abstract. In Europe, two commercially important treelike birch species occur naturally: silver birch (Betula pendula Roth)...

Seedlings overtake coppiced trees in 4-5yrs which seems abit counterintuative

The growth of coppice shoots is much faster than that of planted seedlings at an early age, but they are reached and overgrown by the planted seedlings at the age of 4–5 years.

Also this info on spacing for max growth:

In the management of birch stands, the rule of thumb is that the proportion of living tree crown should be at least 50 per cent of the tree height in order to ensure vigorous growth

21 hours ago, spandit said:

I know what you mean about cutting them (even though the alder was planted to provide firewood in the future). Some of the alder is 8" across - astonishing growth. I will take a few down this winter, I think, to see how well they regenerate. Got so much firewood already I really don't need any more.

Saw a squirrel in the woodland today as I was on the tractor mowing the rides - lovely to see. Looking forward to seeing him again, hopefully through a telescopic sight...

Hi Spandit, how long did the Alder take to get to 8"?

5 minutes ago, Commando said:

Hi Spandit, how long did the Alder take to get to 8"?

About 5 years. Most of them have split the tube shelters. Haven't tried stringing my hammock in between them yet as it puts a lot of strain on things but they're probably strong enough

18 hours ago, spandit said:

Normal alder, that's measured at the base, and they're not all like that.d

Doubted myself so took a tape measure to one of them. 24 inches around at the base - that's nearly 8 inches diameter, so I'm not far off. A lot of them snap in the wind it seems, though but it means my prototype forest floor is collecting detritus which must be beneficial for invertebrates