New (ish) woodland.

wrsni

Here's a drone picture of some of my woodland. Not as big as yours, although space to expand. The silvery looking trees on the left of the photo are osier viminalis but the bulk of the trees you can see are alder, which have done really well. Towards the bottom left there is a plantation of 120 basket willow plants (almond willow, salix triandra). The circle is scots pine but they keep falling over and I don't know whether I'll end up with an elegant ring of them in a few years, especially as they're difficult to mow around

org_a7c83fcc76e6714c_1565887132000.thumb.jpg.e6d85aeedb661e34480ec5ee383b5bb7.jpg

• Like 4

Plenty of room for expansion as you say, get the planting spade out! ?

My scots pine done the same, that's what they do apparently! So for a year or two I tried straightening them and all sorts of antics, then they became too big to manhandle so I had to leave them but strangely enough they seem to have sorted themselves out.

Will you be cutting any alder soon?, I think I'll be cutting a few things this winter for the first, even though it goes against every grain in my body to start cutting down after years of encouraging and trying to nurture growth. The thought of even walking through the gate with a chain saw brings me out in a cold sweat!

Edited by wrsni
  • Thanks 1

I’m in the process of purchasing a small woodland, about 4 acres planted in late 90’s early 2000 and another 3 acres planted about 10yrs ago. The latter is under EWGS. No plan in place and it need thinning and generally managing . Is there a book/ website that can advise on what’s got to be done? How strict are the FC on following up on such? Thx Craig

This Forest Research document will be worth a read, most with be over the top but you should be able to find some useful bits.

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/research/thinning-practice-a-silvicultural-guide/

As for the EWGS, I thought obligations ended after 10 years but worth checking the fine print of your specific agreement. (This should be covered by the sale process as if there are any obligations the vendor would normally transfer them to you).

This might help:

WWW.GOV.UK

Claim and manage legacy schemes – English Woodland Grant Scheme (EWGS), Farm Woodland Premium Scheme (FWPS)...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wrsni said:

Plenty of room for expansion as you say, get the planting spade out! ?

My scots pine done the same, that's what they do apparently! So for a year or two I tried straightening them and all sorts of antics, then they became too big to manhandle so I had to leave them but strangely enough they seem to have sorted themselves out.

Will you be cutting any alder soon?, I think I'll be cutting a few things this winter for the first, even though it goes against every grain in my body to start cutting down after years of encouraging and trying to nurture growth. The thought of even walking through the gate with a chain saw brings me out in a cold sweat!

I know what you mean about cutting them (even though the alder was planted to provide firewood in the future). Some of the alder is 8" across - astonishing growth. I will take a few down this winter, I think, to see how well they regenerate. Got so much firewood already I really don't need any more.

Saw a squirrel in the woodland today as I was on the tractor mowing the rides - lovely to see. Looking forward to seeing him again, hopefully through a telescopic sight...

• Haha 1

This Forest Research document will be worth a read, most with be over the top but you should be able to find some useful bits.

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/research/thinning-practice-a-silvicultural-guide/

As for the EWGS, I thought obligations ended after 10 years but worth checking the fine print of your specific agreement. (This should be covered by the sale process as if there are any obligations the vendor would normally transfer them to you).

This might help:
opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0da37842d8bd0addbd724b8e58c3edbc7287cc11de.png WWW.GOV.UK
Claim and manage legacy schemes – English Woodland Grant Scheme (EWGS), Farm Woodland Premium Scheme (FWPS)...  

I wish Paul, the trees are subject to the scheme and need to be managed until it ends 2036/37, and the grant finishes 2021/22.
I do wonder how much follow-up they do on these small schemes though?
Thanks Craig

That's similar to here, you get 15yrs of payment and the area must remain planted for a further 15 after that or payment will be reclaimed (in theory anyway!). Seems fair enough given that the aim of the scheme is to establish more areas of permanent tree cover.

19 hours ago, spandit said:

I know what you mean about cutting them (even though the alder was planted to provide firewood in the future). Some of the alder is 8" across - astonishing growth. I will take a few down this winter, I think, to see how well they regenerate. Got so much firewood already I really don't need any more.

Alder certainly has the reputation of coppicing well and as stated above given that they seem to be quite short lived by nature so cutting them should actually be a positive, but still..........................!!!!!!

Birch is less certain, research seems to suggest that coppicing is more likely to be successful with them the earlier you start in their lifetime so I'll take a few of them down as well but more where they're crowding out something else and need action anyway.

I suppose this is all part of moving on from establishment to management, all the while being mindful that it probably doesn't need me interfering at all anymore!