Suggest a saw (sorry)

mattsccm

All my saws are old hand me downs and none are reliable. Stihl 039, MS181 and 08s, Husky 254Xp and 65 and a Chinese thing that runs better than it should. Time to spend a few quid but funds are limited. Huskys seem to offer more than Stihl for the money but am I missing something good. Dolmar/Makita?  Jonsereds? Plenty of choice near home.

Something like a Husky 435 may do the job but maybe something a bit bigger.

Firewood only , usually not much more than a foot of so and doubt its more than about 10/15 tons a year. The delivery of 2 foot oak last week is another issue. Hmmm

So whats good value at the moment?

If you have a reliable repair shop or dealer I'd look for a good second hand saw. If you can find one I'd recommend a husqvarna 345xp. I bought one and its great. The stihl 026, 260 & 261 are always well regarded although I think one of the earlier 261 has a design issue.

14 minutes ago, mattsccm said:

Cheers. Must admit i would rather keep the older ones. 254 was always my fave. Point me to Spud please. Local mechanics haven,t filled me with confidence.

Thanks people.

Yea keep the 254 . Message Steve Gumm , user name spudulike but most people refer to him as spud . He will tell you what he can be done with the 254 .  From a full port job and mm  to a normal service .

• Like 1

Selling my unreliable dinosaws and buying new reliable saws was one of the best things I've done.
A 50cc Saw with 16" bar should be fine for firewood.
Husky faster but unreliable,
Stihl more expensive but reliable.
Dolmar,Makita,echo etc no idea.
Just my experience.
What's your nearest dealer?

• Like 1