Vanguard efi fuel pump

Ty Korrigan

Come on Stu! You notified us in mid August that an issue was apparent and we told you what to do and your options then and several times since. While I agree that it is disappointing that the engine dealers appear to be behind the curve and that would affect all Briggs engined machines, we gave you the best alternative advice to buy another pump and fit it. I believe you even had advice on how to self diagnose and overcome the engine people's short comings. I sense and feel compassion for you but this could have been resolved a month ago!

• Like 2

Hardly a month.

Am I really expected to buy the part myself (£100 with postage from Briggs Bits) and fit it so voiding the warranty altogether?

And if it isn't the fuel pump but the leads or ignition coil or a software issue which I can do nothing about anyway?

Should I keep guessing and buying parts to fit myself?

Or should GM sit up, be pro-active, find me a trained Briggs dealer and actually help me get it fixed professionally under their much vaunted no quibbles warranty?

I recall the debacle of the 190 languished at the dealers for several weeks and ended in GM exchanging it for a 200 because their dealer wasn't competant enough to diagnose a hydraulic fault.

Honestly, must every machine I buy from GM result in a battle with dealers over warranty repairs?

I've said good things for years about GM and rarely discussed negative issues online as the service from the factory has been exemplary in resolving them.

Is this really the same GM who sent a mechanic out to France to repair my Quadchip under warranty?

Stuart

received_942813806063210.thumb.png.3e0dba392ca98731be138cb1c42cf340.png

received_2558682377486137.png

As said Stuart, we fit parts into a machine that are subject to someone else's warranty procedure's. To gain "engineering acceptance", to get their consent to fit their engines, we have to jump through a number of hoops and agree to certain procedures. This means that we can use the engines and offer a warranty. Without this, we would even get their engines! If the agreement is that, in the event of a warranty failure, they stipulate we have to behave in a certain way, then that is what we do.

I'm aghast at what you report about the Briggs approved people but if you want to get warranty, you have to take it to an approved and capable company. I cannot and will not comment on previous occurrences as I am not aware of the chronology or circumstances and this isn't the right place to do so.

While we would never ask for or stipulate an NDA, I am uncomfortable 'going public' as this will cannot change something that we have little control over.

I did get told that your first contact over this was August 13th, I apologise if this was incorrect. It was about two weeks ago that I advised you to contact Briggs and do what they want.

• 1 month later...

5 visits to the Briggs dealer.

900km, 12 hours driving.

I have asked for a pressure test on 2 previous occasions only to be mugged off. Last Saturday I was assured that one would be done and that I could leave the chipper and collect Monday.

Today, by phone, the mechanic now says my chipper is a non-runner after his ministrations and that it won't be ready until next week. He's been fiddling with the crank sensor instead of doing the pressure test so I asked for a third time for a pressure test to be done.

What I predicted has come to pass.

I'm being mugged off by the very people who are supposed to there to provide aftercare.

Once again a dealer has proven their incompetance in solving a simple problem.

Not like it is a fecking Rolls Royce Merlin engine.

This evening, the familiar tightening across the chest has returned plus the restless feeling which comes with suppressed anger, anxiety and stress.

GM as ever have been very supportive though their hands are tied as this is a Briggs issue not a GM one.

Stuart

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday 2nd Nov and the parts, crank shaft sensor and fuel pump,

have still not arrived at the dealers despite being ordered on Monday 21st October.

The parts order goes to B&S in Paris who contact their warehouse in Holland who send it to Paris then onto the dealer.

Hardly Amazon level service...

I recall that John Deere parts arrive from America within 48hrs.

Next weeks planned work is not suitable for a CS100 wee chipper so I am moving clients around to ensure I can keep rolling and avoid laying off 3 subbies.

I'll not buy another Briggs engine again after this debacle.

Not worth the risk.

EFI maybe great engines when they work but in the event of a problem the aftersales is glacial, non-reactive.

Very costly to a small business especially at this time of year.

Stuart

I had been told by a B&S dealer locally to me that there have been a few problems with parts from B&S. 

They had recently got a new company to install a better software system for telling them parts production, stock, location etc... worldwide. 
The company who provided the new software didn’t back up the old system and the new system when it went live lost all the existing information. This meant B&S had/have no idea on current stock levels, location of parts, what was being produced etc...... I got told this happened a little while ago but they are only just getting things back to sorted now, with them back to 100% by January. 
Could all be rubbish but was a rumour I heard circulating

Certainly when I have spoken to Briggs in Paris (speak excellent English) they have been most helpfull and apologetic over the previous component delay (lambda sensor)

I find this situation maddening.

Before I dropped my chipper off at the dealers it was a working machine, just problematic to start when hot.

Since the dealers clumsy interventions, the machine no longer functions and my business partially crippled as a result.

I am fortunate that I have no credit on my chipper or indeed any debt at all otherwise the situation would be very gloomy indeed. 

Stuart

• Sad 1