Vanguard efi fuel pump

Ty Korrigan

Just to confirm a few things....and these are common to manufacturers and suppliers of many different bits of kit in industry.

This is not aimed at Stuart and his fuel pump but as a general comment to remind people of the actualities of life.

A warranty is put in place as a safety net - there are procedures in place that help trace problems and rectify them going forwards. Sometimes, these procedures are seen as a hindrance and sometimes, things don't get done as fast as we (or you, the buyer/owner) would like but quite often, there is a good reason for the delay but it doesn't stop our (or your) impatience from surfacing.

No dealer or supplier makes money from warranty and quite often, they loose money as they get a labour rate far lower than their workshop rate. They are usually asked to react to a warranty job quicker than a paying service from a good customer! But they tend to do stuff like warranty because of the good relationship they have with their supplier and also with their customer. This is why I have a history of banging on about buying stuff from your local supplier. Buy local, generate a good relationship with your supplier and he will want to look after you if things go awry.

GreenMech have put in place a 3 year 'No quibble' warranty and we still have internal arguments about it as it isn't always backed up by our supply chain and we or our dealer ends up with the grief.

Additionally, some components in a machine (no matter what make) are subject to the component manufacturer's warranty procedure too. Engines, for example, are covered by the engine makers warranty and subject to their warranty practises and these can seem bizarre and peculiar at times too! GreenMech are not allowed to interfere with engines - indeed, we get no special favours from engine suppliers, only a list of their approved agents. 

Other components are subject to a "retrospective warranty claim". This means that a replacement part is paid for in full and the broken part is subject to their inspection. If they believe that their bit has been subject to misuse, inadequate or improper service regime, then they can reject the claim - leaving someone else to pick up the tab.

Lastly, I do not know of a supplier of anything that pays 'consequential losses', due to a breakdown of machinery. This includes the damage to third party property, loss of earnings, refunding hire fees or the cost of getting the site finished by another company etc. We strive to help things along with as much haste as we can and if possible, we might lend a machine if we have one available - but nothing is guaranteed....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Luckyeleven said:

Buy local even if it means a massive cost implication? Never understood the attitude....

Of course there are limits to it. Location shouldn't theoretically really make  *that* much difference to cost. The local dealer will have similar buying and business costs to some other dealer 200 miles away (in theory)

For example all GreenMech dealers buy their machines & spares at the same terms. Labour rates will vary from dealer to dealer but shouldn't be "massive".

We have a local steel merchants we will drive and pick material up for certain jobs, they are 1 mile away. They aren't cheap and it can be bought from further afield at wholesale cheaper but when you specifically need something to do or finish a job you have to accept convenience can cost that little bit more. 

Edited by GA Groundcare

I have called Briggs 'et' Stratton France.

No-one in the West of France has as yet the required training and software though a dealer in Normandy has done the course but still awaiting software.

I called the larger approved Briggs dealers local to Rennes.

Amazingly no-one will even look at the engine it is so uncommon.

So... as it stands, none of the GM dealers can repair the engine because the engine is under warranty by Briggs and only approved Briggs dealers can touch it.

GM have explained that their hands are tied regarding engine warranties.

However no Briggs dealer is up to speed with this engine and all have so far refused to look at it.

Even if I had bought locally it would have changed nothing because

NO-ONE will help because this particular GM machine has insufficient dealer backup.

In my 10 years as a GM customer I have never had any engine problems and on other issues the customer service and after sales care has been excellent.

Until now.

I appear to have hit a brick wall with no-one willing to throw aside the conventions of warranties and just help me get this chipper running correctly again.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Stuart

4 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I have called Briggs 'et' Stratton France.

No-one in the West of France has as yet the required training and software though a dealer in Normandy has done the course but still awaiting software.

I called the larger approved Briggs dealers local to Rennes.

Amazingly no-one will even look at the engine it is so uncommon.

So... as it stands, none of the GM dealers can repair the engine because the engine is under warranty by Briggs and only approved Briggs dealers can touch it.

GM have explained that their hands are tied regarding engine warranties.

However no Briggs dealer is up to speed with this engine and all have so far refused to look at it.

Even if I had bought locally it would have changed nothing because

NO-ONE will help because this particular GM machine has insufficient dealer backup.

In my 10 years as a GM customer I have never had any engine problems and on other issues the customer service and after sales care has been excellent.

Until now.

I appear to have hit a brick wall with no-one willing to throw aside the conventions of warranties and just help me get this chipper running correctly again.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Stuart

Email the manufacturer direct and explain what has been going on 

• Like 2