Sealing Bleeding Wounds?

wentium

Question

I have implanted a few pesticide bullets in a Magnolia tree infected with soft scales about 2 weeks ago. I noticed bleed outs from some of the implant sites about 1 week later.  The manufacturer suggests caulking the implant sites to prevent bleed outs. I’m under the impression that wound sealing is an old practice that is no longer recommended.  Meanwhile, sap continues to leak out of the implant sites, and it smells a bit funny (I wiped down the implant sites with alcohol).  Is it too late to seal the wounds now?

magnoliatree.jpg

10 answers to this question

As you said, sealing a wound is not a good idea. You can trap inside bacteria and funghi spore. The high umidity of a sealed wound is the perfect enviroment for funghi growt.

Maybe the manufacturer suggest to Seal it to prevent the spread of chemichal compound outside the tree.

I've succesfully treated a bleeding wound caused by a strimmer on a Morus nigra using hydroalcolich extract of propolis, equisetum and the extract of seaweed all mixer togheter then spraied on the wound, you can give it a try

Edited by Alberto
  • Like 1

Ive had similar success but included in the mix; tongue of snail and three powdered chickens teeth. I believe the concoction is even more efficacious if you add that rarest of ingredients, brain of Brexiteer.
Why Making fun of what i've said?
The use of propolis to treat tree wound is not witchery. If you search for it you can find some research about it

2 hours ago, Alberto said:

Why Making fun of what i've said?
The use of propolis to treat tree wound is not witchery. If you search for it you can find some research about it

Hello Alberto,

Could you post links concerning this? Only to any peer approved articles or papers in credible journals though.

Cheers

Stuart

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hello Alberto,

Could you post links concerning this? Only to any peer approved articles or papers in credible journals though.

Cheers

Stuart

Hello Stuart, i've first read about it in a brochure where the research of Prof. Garofalo and Prof Pecchiai was cited. I've searched for it but probably they are old and avaible only on paper. Here in italy there are some company that produce and sell propolis extract for agricolture purpose (hailstorm damage, disease, sunburn, frost damage etc  they said this) the same product are allowed and used in organic cultivation.

I've found this research about propolis effect on fungi and bacteria:

I was not able to find a study about the propolis effect on wound but if you add the propriety listed above with the fact that you can find it in the bud and vegetative apex of plant to protect them, it makes sense

Edited by Alberto
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Paul Cleaver said:

The bleed is not a problem and the tree should recover from the wounds, however I personally would be looking to apply a non invasive form of control should the problem happen again

Thx Paul!  The bleeding is getting worse, its now dripping sap.  Is that normal?  Shouldn't the bleeding subside going into the 3rd week?  When should I expect the bleeding to subside?  I might have driven the implants too deep just passed the cambium.  Also, would wound sealing with wax (like they often do with parafilm in grafting) be beneficial at this point?

Edited by wentium
typos and clarification

11 minutes ago, Alberto said:

Hello Stuart, i've first read about it in a brochure where the research of Prof. Garofalo and Prof Pecchiai was cited. I've searched for it but probably they are old and avaible only on paper. Here in italy there are some company that produce and sell propolis extract for agricolture purpose (hailstorm damage, disease, sunburn, frost damage etc  they said this) the same product are allowed and used in organic cultivation.

I've found this research about propolis effect on fungi and bacteria:

I was not able to find a study about the propolis effect on wound but if you add the propriety listed above with the fact that you can find it in the bud and vegetative apex of plant to protect them, it makes sense

Thx Alberto!  tbh, I wasn't sure if you were trolling at me at 1st. ;) Thx for the info.  I plan to rub some coconut oil over the implant sites, that's all i have at the moment.  I did however entertain the idea of using beewax to seal the wounds, similar to using parafilm to seal grafting wounds.  Propolis sounds very interesting, not sure where I can get it in the resin form though.

10 hours ago, EdwardC said:

Ive had similar success but included in the mix; tongue of snail and three powdered chickens teeth. I believe the concoction is even more efficacious if you add that rarest of ingredients, brain of Brexiteer.

Agree that the brain of a Brexiteer would be far better than using the brain of a Remainer which would do all it could to keep the poisonous infection in place.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wentium said:

Thx Paul!  The bleeding is getting worse, its now dripping sap.  Is that normal?  Shouldn't the bleeding subside going into the 3rd week?  When should I expect the bleeding to subside?  I might have driven the implants too deep just passed the cambium.  Also, would wound sealing with wax (like they often do with parafilm in grafting) be beneficial at this point?

The bleeding will stop  some soon I expect, I don't know when. The roots are transporting water and the leaves are photosynthesising so don't worry about the bleeding. I would not seal the wounds with wax. The wounds will callus in time.

• Like 1