Silver birch logs wanted

Badgerland

Morning all.

As title says I'm after a silver birch log or 2 for basket making.

Ideally they need to be around 20-24 inch diameter (minimum of 18) and i can get away with lengths of 6 or 8 ft. Because they'll be cut to 8-10mm thick boards they need to be as straight and knot free as possible.

I'm based mid-Wilts so really looking for something within reasonable distance.

3 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Good luck, pieces like that aren’t the easiest to come by

Yeah, tell me about it! In the past I've been lucky and found suitable individual trees in mixed woods that I work or shoot in.

The good thing is that once I find one I can get an awful lot of basket bases out of a couple of logs that size!

• 1 month later...
14 minutes ago, nepia said:

Out of interest, and from a non-miller, what would you or anyone buying birch boards do with them?  The stuff rots for fun.

I do buy Birch logs when I can, but the problem is I don't get offered them much.  Very pretty timber and good for any indoor use (just like the majority of UK hardwoods).  In my house my cereal shelves in my kitchen are Birch.  Birch is much used in Scandinavian countries for furniture, but then they grow it for timber whereas we don't.  Even better than Birch is Alder - very similar but a little more golden.  Here is my Alder kitchen.

Kitchen.jpg

• Like 4

On 13/09/2019 at 07:40, Badgerland said:

Morning all.

As title says I'm after a silver birch log or 2 for basket making.

Ideally they need to be around 20-24 inch diameter (minimum of 18) and i can get away with lengths of 6 or 8 ft. Because they'll be cut to 8-10mm thick boards they need to be as straight and knot free as possible.

I'm based mid-Wilts so really looking for something within reasonable distance.

you are joking as i know of a decent Birch that came down on thursday! may of been a bit to big thou would of been high 20s low 30s diameter,

• Like 1

I do buy Birch logs when I can, but the problem is I don't get offered them much.  Very pretty timber and good for any indoor use (just like the majority of UK hardwoods).  In my house my cereal shelves in my kitchen are Birch.  Birch is much used in Scandinavian countries for furniture, but then they grow it for timber whereas we don't.  Even better than Birch is Alder - very similar but a little more golden.  Here is my Alder kitchen.

Kitchen.jpg.5f16b06f09f3c4029ec97d1125c0ccaa.jpg

I never seen any furniture made from Birch during the 5 years I lived in Norway. Its always considered a firewood there. Oddly when I came to buy a Baby Crib (not the MTV kind [emoji3] ) we got a rocking one made out of solid Birch! Reduced to clear, £25 delivered! You could not buy the materials for that. 

IMG_4772.jpg

Stunning kitchen! I’d love to have the skills to make something like that one day.