Global warming fact or fiction? Has it effected when you use your stove?

On 14/09/2019 at 04:40, Billhook said:

Just too many human beings. 

Need a reduction to about 2 billion hopefully by intelligent birth control 

Not just for emission reduction, but also for conservation both of natural resources and species

Anything less than population control is just pissing in the wind.

Not just for emission reduction, but also for conservation both of natural resources and species, stopping pollution and wars

22 hours ago, wrsni said:

But we won't, which is where the debate ends anyway.

That's why we're screwed.

I would love to think there was another way but I think you are right. Only need to look at this thread to see most would rather bury their heads in the sand or cling on to well peddled lies than make any major changes.

We will make changes but it looks like we will be waiting until they are forced onto us by circumstance and that is going to be ugly.

• Like 1

Well this post certainly did light the blue touch paper!

My personal view:-

• The earth does heat up and cool naturally, fact
  • Humans are now doubt adding to the problems

We need to do more but there is no point small groups doing something, it needs to be a concerted effort. China appears to be the main individual culprit but certainly not the only one!

• Like 1

The so-called climate strike is going on today. Protests around the world demanding governments do something. 

Yet to hear any coherent expression of precisely what protesters expect governments to do. Do they think man-made climate/environmental damage is purely a political issue? That our planet's ecosystem has been damaged purely because of governmental policy? 

What to they want, more wind turbines, higher taxes? More "sustainable" this and "sustainable" that. Do they think that will do it? I wonder how many have looked in the mirror and understood their own part in this process. The sense I get is that they think climate change is something inflicted on "our" world purely by unscrupulous businesses and governments and it's all somehow other people's fault. 

What are they asking for to address this? If they're asking for a complete revision of the planetary socio-economic model (which is want is really needed - effectively an end to the anthropocene, the age of man) do they understand what that actually means? Because what it means is an acceptance that our present industrial way of life is completely unsustainable and that by extension the population levels it has fueled are unsustainable too. That isn't something that you can just demand other people fix on your behalf, it calls into question your own place and purpose in the world and that of everyone else around you.

It's easy to be cynical but this whole movement, I'm afraid, reeks of infantilism - children led by children, metaphorically and literally. Yet again population is the great unmentionable and looking at all these placard-wavers you have to question how many of them have really grasped the existential magnitude of the problem that exercises them and if they're really prepared for what it means. I suspect they're not and they still think someone else can come along with a magic wand to make it all better and magically square the circle of 8 billion people in a world that can really only support about one billion..

Edited by Gimlet

1 hour ago, Gimlet said:

The so-called climate strike is going on today. Protests around the world demanding governments do something. 

Yet to hear any coherent expression of precisely what protesters expect governments to do. Do they think man-made climate/environmental damage is purely a political issue? That our planet's ecosystem has been damaged purely because of governmental policy? 

What to they want, more wind turbines, higher taxes? More "sustainable" this and "sustainable" that. Do they think that will do it? I wonder how many have looked in the mirror and understood their own part in this process. The sense I get is that they think climate change is something inflicted on "our" world purely by unscrupulous businesses and governments and it's all somehow other people's fault. 

What are they asking for to address this? If they're asking for a complete revision of the planetary socio-economic model (which is want is really needed - effectively an end to the anthropocene, the age of man) do they understand what that actually means? Because what it means is an acceptance that our present industrial way of life is completely unsustainable and that by extension the population levels it has fueled are unsustainable too. That isn't something that you can just demand other people fix on your behalf, it calls into question your own place and purpose in the world and that of everyone else around you.

It's easy to be cynical but this whole movement, I'm afraid, reeks of infantilism - children led by children, metaphorically and literally. Yet again population is the great unmentionable and looking at all these placard-wavers you have to question how many of them have really grasped the existential magnitude of the problem that exercises them and if they're really prepared for what it means. I suspect they're not and they still think someone else can come along with a magic wand to make it all better and magically square the circle of 8 billion people in a world that can really only support about one billion..

A few of my friends have gone along to a local strike. I think they fully understand where we are and have already looked in the mirror.

I would support higher taxes on fossil fuels in fact tax them to the hilt and ring fence the money for wind turbines, PV, storage etc. It's mad world when the most decadent form of travel ie flying carries no fuel duty at all. Just make sure there is a safety net for those literally unable to pay and stay warm. We will have to live a more frugal life but it could be a better one.