Global warming fact or fiction? Has it effected when you use your stove?

Even if the UK goes zero carbon fast won't impact alot globally i agree

But if UK could try to be a place that leads by example it might show its possible and inspire other countries to do more.

Indias economy was destroyed   by UK rule and  mis-management & exploitation.

India accounted for 25% of the world's industrial output in 1750, declining to 2% of the world's industrial output in 1900.

• Like 1

Just now, Stere said:

But if UK could try to be a place that leads by example it might show its possible and inspire other countries to do more.

If we could get the world to follows UK current example that would be an insurmountable task. But if the impossible happened the would would be a much better place for that. We would of course have to stop buying everything from China in the mean time. Stop raping the globe for rare earths to fund our addiction to the tech wee seem unable to live without and of course Electric cars. Its absolute lunacy to 'clean' up our country when we are turning a blind eye to the demands we put on China etc. 

3 minutes ago, Stere said:

Indias economy was destroyed   by UK rule and  mis-management & exploitation.

But my comment stands, the knowledge of what we did to our environment by the way industrialized is open for everyone to see. If India can afford and have the tech to have a Space Program they have the tech and know-how to stop ruining their and surrounding countries surely?

• Like 1

Yeah offshoring C02 output from all thoose  imports is cheating.

I think gimlet has it right population is the issue. Population seems a dirty world for enviromentalists to mention as (Pol Pot one child policy etc anyone?)

UK 's at the top rest of world aspire to get there ....

oxfam_carbon_inequality.png

Don't see how all theese zero carbon by 2030 plegdes etc will ever be meet, when world its going the other direction atm, unless some miracle new technologies comes along with fusion power or AI.

Bascially were all doomed! ?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Jordan Peterson has a way of telling it like it is.

I really like Peterson but he came accross as slightly drunk. :D Repeating the same phrase time and time again and just generally ranting. But I completely agree with what he's saying. None of us are willing to change a damn thing. Especially not the kids who seem to be up in arms about it anyway. 

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

None of us are willing to change a damn thing. Especially not the kids who seem to be up in arms about it anyway. 

This is why we need to be forced to do things differently by law. There is very little political will for this though and we are not likely to elect anybody with it. We are a bit stuck.

The only way out is for all countries to take the necessary economic hits simultaneously, keeping a relatively level playing field. With richer countries helping out the poorer ones as required.

We were making some promising progress with this very rare scenario until Trump pulled the USA out of the Paris Climate Accord, stating that action on climate change was "bad for business"

This was an act of monumental nationalistic selfishness, and paved the way for other nations to pull out too.

I have said it before, but the elephant in the room is overpopulation.  Think of the carbon footprint of each individual and you realise that 8 billion people is unsustainable and it needs to be reduced to about 2 billion.

The only way I can think of doing it without a war or dictatorship, is to put an infertility drug into manufactured sugar.  This may solve two problems at once.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I have said it before, but the elephant in the room is overpopulation.  Think of the carbon footprint of each individual and you realise that 8 billion people is unsustainable and it needs to be reduced to about 2 billion.

The only way I can think of doing it without a war or dictatorship, is to put an infertility drug into manufactured sugar.  This may solve two problems at once.

You would still need all countries working together.

In the present climate we are moving in the opposite direction.

A less radical measure that would at least stabilise population growth would be to limit people to only replacing themselves through childbirth (two children per couple). I floated this idea on here a while back and still haven't managed to wash off all the spittle.

Edited by the village idiot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1