Husqi 346XP wont start after cleaning carbureta

celi

Thanks for (some of) the useful comments, and Bill for your encouragement. Clearly I'm not that experienced in chainsaw mechanics (and dyslexic!) and I have no fear of taking the saw to a mechanic, I just like to learn, thanks for the support.

• Like 3

@celi .Im with AWD and Spud  overall on this one due to the nature of the saw you are trying to learn on/fix.

A "good 346 XP -OE" (that you should have if it has no purge bulb) is a valued saw and has a few things that can cause issues on the intake side if not addressed. Taking a carb apart due to poor running and or storage for cleaning is all well and good but it is best practice to put a rebuild kit in the carb (in case you didn't) at reassembly . 

Vac and pressure test equipment is in my opinion "a must" while sorting out this saw , plus it allows you to check carb metering "Pop off pressure" for the new needle that you would fit as part of a full carb refurb. 

By all means have a go at sorting out the saw yourself ...BUT.. take into account the need for the saw not to have a air leak from the intake (a common problem with the plastic intake clamp on some of the 346 xp saws) or anywhere else for that matter. It may pay you this time to heed advice and have it professionally diagnosed and repaired.

Edited by Sawchip
  • Like 2

Sawchip has some very valid advice which is very relevant to this model of saw. They often have issues with the manifold and carb side crank seal which can lead to over revving, fast and unstable idle and poor running leading to a seize. If the saw was working and then fitting the carb kit stopped it working, the fitting of the kit has been done incorrectly.

Also, I would look at the clutch drum and bearing for play as I have had a write a few of these machines off for crank wear where the owner has scant disregard to general and regular maintenance. They are not weak but they do need a bit of regular maintenance before issues are seen.

• Like 1