New Defender

JonnyRFT

59 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

Yes they can all be made something different, but out of the crate, a 2.4 and six speed is on another level.

Not only in engine/gearbox, the updates and convenience packs made a real difference to daily use.

The 2.2 is just gutless by comparison.

Interesting, the 2.4 & 2.2 share the same transmission and running gear don’t they? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

Not sure how anyone can say that’s shit...?

A6F49D82-6BC0-43EF-9D91-9C869814F915.jpeg

Bloody expensive and won’t wear well with the odd battle scars - will look shit (and become worthless) very quickly if worked IMO.

Land Rover are simply a very good marketing company flogging a variety of size/shaped luxurious but completely unnecessary cars to an increasingly wealthy customer base - the only thing in their current range that interests me now is the full fat Range Rover (which I would definitely buy if I was rich enough, but I’m not!).

They cleverly pitch their image around their roughty-toughty go anywhere/do anything heritage which is bizarrely aspirational to those who have no need for such vehicles. They make a lot more money selling 2-3 tonnes of metal and components at the top end of the market than at the lower priced end and who can blame them? Work vehicles aren’t on their radar anymore I don’t think. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Bloody expensive and won’t wear well with the odd battle scars - will look shit (and become worthless) very quickly if worked IMO.

Land Rover are simply a very good marketing company flogging a variety of size/shaped luxurious but completely unnecessary cars to an increasingly wealthy customer base - the only thing in their current range that interests me now is the full fat Range Rover (which I would definitely buy if I was rich enough, but I’m not!).

They cleverly pitch their image around their roughty-toughty go anywhere/do anything heritage which is bizarrely aspirational to those who have no need for such vehicles. They make a lot more money selling 2-3 tonnes of metal and components at the top end of the market than at the lower priced end and who can blame them? Work vehicles aren’t on their radar anymore I don’t think. 

Seeing so many posts on social media saying "I bet the MOD won't be buying them". However I doubt they want the business of a few thousand orders to non factory specification. Highly doubt suppling the MOD with Defenders ever pleased the accounts department... A good marketing showcase no doubt.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

Not sure how anyone can say that’s shit...?

A6F49D82-6BC0-43EF-9D91-9C869814F915.jpeg

Doesn’t matter what they turned out, there’s no money in trying to put 5 years warranty on a 20k version built to be dogged to destruction by the average hill farmer.

Take 20k more off someone who will use it basically as an executive van at worst.

They’re all just opinions at the end of the day.

• Like 3

You really think a farmer is gonna go and buy one? Why would he need 4g-5g on board computer.Does a farmer need a hybrid 4x4 ? The whole thing has been wrapped also, so it easier to get rid of scratches. If Mr Giles dents a panel not only does he have to get a new panel but then has to get it wrapped, just seems pointless and rather expensive. I’m sure with all it technology and other features it will sell to the school run club but only because of its name and history and the weight s defender badge carries. I could carry on ranting about this expensive junk that they have produced but it’s just my opinion.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Alex O said:

You really think a farmer is gonna go and buy one? Why would he need 4g-5g on board computer.Does a farmer need a hybrid 4x4 ? The whole thing has been wrapped also, so it easier to get rid of scratches. If Mr Giles dents a panel not only does he have to get a new panel but then has to get it wrapped, just seems pointless and rather expensive. I’m sure with all it technology and other features it will sell to the school run club but only because of its name and history and the weight s defender badge carries. I could carry on ranting about this expensive junk that they have produced but it’s just my opinion.

The vast majority went to Japanese Pickups when the TDCI Defender was still being produced.

The protective wrap is only an option from the reviews I have seen.

• Like 1