2010 Quadchip 160 hydraulic heat.

Gerbutt

Hi guys

Does anyone have any experience with hydraulics? I have a problem with a Quadchip 160 motor getting real hot and after a while the tank does too.

The chipper started off with a hydraulic leak and the lads would fill it up when low. One day when it came back a lad said a roller had stopped working so I went for the dipstick and burnt my hand, it was boiling! The leak wasn’t obvious so I rang GreenMech and they said it was common for them to leak out the shaft on a motor so I piped it out and sure enough it was leaking from around the shaft. I took the motor off, stripped it down and replaced the seals. I put it back on and the leak has been solved, but the heat problem is still there.

I have no experience with hydraulics so I assumed I must have not mended the motor correctly. We have the tracked version too so I ran that to make sure it ran cool, then swapped the top motor to see if the heat went but it didn’t. My boos phoned GreenMech and they said that the flow valve was a common problem and we’d have to buy the whole thing. I spoke to a hydraulic parts supplier to see if we could get it cheaper and he said I can just delete the flow valve. I did that but the heat is still there.

I don’t know much about hydraulics but have been reading and watching loads. It seems to me that the problem should be where the main heat is, but it seems to be the top motor that gets hot first and quickly, and I’ve tried a known good one so that’s not at fault. The motor has two new hoses going to it. I’ve bypassed the bottom motor and the fault it still there.

Has anyone had this sort of thing happen before?

Hi Gerbutt, 

The shaft seal isn't a common failure but not unheard of and not unexpected on a nine year old chipper like yours.

You could also try bypassing the oil cooler but I've not known one to fail internally.

Following our phone conversation last week I still maintain the problem is most likely due to the control valve causing a restriction and resulting in heat build up.

Why not order the new valve and If it doesn't cure the problem we'll see what we can do ?

Alternately you could remove each pressure hose to check for a delamination. 

Jase.

• Like 1

Hiya Jase

That’s brilliant that you’ve replied, I was going to give you a ring on Friday when I’m next working for Geoff [emoji106]

I’ve taken the flow valve off now, got some shorter bolts like you said. I was well excited starting it up but alas it still got real hot!

I’ve tried bypassing the motors with the twin male fitment like you advised and it still got hot.

The roller spins dead easy by hand without the motor in. One chap I spoke to said if the roller was slightly bent it may spin easy by hand but when the motor’s in it could be cross loading the bearing and causing the heat? I could try swapping the moving roller unit for the one off the other chipper?

The other thing I thought of today is could be the pump, it’s the only thing I’ve not looked at yet? It was run real low on oil one day for to the leak so I wonder if air got in the pump and caused the oil to boil?

Thanks so far for all your help, you’ve been awesome [emoji106]

Have you bypassed the top motor  ?

Those were my thoughts regarding a bent shaft , hence why I ask if you've tried bypassing it ?

I would also try bypassing the cooler before replacing the control valve.

I think if the pump was knackered you'd just suffer with poor oil flow and not get the heat build up.

Jase.

• 1 month later...

Hiya Jase, I’ve managed to sort the chipper [emoji3]. I ended up stripping the directional valve and the flow control valve and replacing all the o-rings. Works a treat now. Thanks for all your help and pointing me in the right direction :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1