Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

1 minute ago, Jamie Jones said:

Hi Paul

Thanks for that..... Most helpful...

A quick question.... Can you give us any clarification on if there is any validity on the comments?...
"I have been told (and it might just be a load of rubbish) that the ICoP Double Rope and third system (ie flipline) is being re thought out because there have been issues in the double rope aspect being applied to a working environment and that as a result of issues being raised HSE is back tracking on some aspects".

Hi Jamie, the HSE haven't back-tracked as such but accepted a different approach / interpretation of the W@H regs and it's application to the industry and working practices (sorry if that sounds a bit wordy :/.)

The forthcoming Technical Guide 1 - Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue (TG1) will clarify the detail (where the "devil lies" :)) and this should be with us very soon.

Suffice to say many businesses have adopted '2 rope' working as the norm, although the ICoP doesn't require such, but use of a back-up system is required (again TG1 will give further guidance and examples.)

Please "bear with us" a little longer...thank you.

Regards,

Paul  

4 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi Jamie, the HSE haven't back-tracked as such but accepted a different approach / interpretation of the W@H regs and it's application to the industry and working practices (sorry if that sounds a bit wordy :/.)

The forthcoming Technical Guide 1 - Tree Climbing and Aerial Rescue (TG1) will clarify the detail (where the "devil lies" :)) and this should be with us very soon.

Suffice to say many businesses have adopted '2 rope' working as the norm, although the ICoP doesn't require such, but use of a back-up system is required (again TG1 will give further guidance and examples.)

Please "bear with us" a little longer...thank you.

Regards,

Paul  

Thanks again for your assistance and clarification...

Would the following comply with the ICoP?
1x Rope used in DRT
1x Wire Flip Line (4m)
1x CE Lanyard (10-to-20m Rope Lanyard)

The CE Lanyard would to be used for better:
1) Work positioning assistance,
2) Second climbing rope for short stages

3) As a second tie-in for two point security when you are releasing the main climbing rope for repositioning?

Would this system be an acceptable system in the eyes of ICoP?

Thank you for your advice...

3 minutes ago, Jamie Jones said:

Thanks again for your assistance and clarification...

Would this system be an acceptable system in the eyes of ICoP?

Thank you for your advice...

Possibly/probably, dependent on their use /application...again, forgive me for repeating myself, we have to await the TG1.

Regards,

Paul 

PS I'm signing off now. ATB.

• Thanks 1

Possibly/probably, dependent on their use /application...again, forgive me for repeating myself, we have to await the TG1.

Regards,
Paul 

PS I'm signing off now. ATB.

Paul thanks for your input.

Will the Technical Guidance be up for consultation or when it’s published is that it, so to speak.

Cheers
Stew

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Alexthetreesurgeon said:

The tg1 is out for “consultation” now. It seems they are expecting two rope systems at all times.

The guidance cites the requirement for a "backup system" to meet the requirements of the W@H Regs. which may be 2 ropes but can be achieved by other means (see sects 6.5 & 6.6 p.31-32).

Regards

Paul 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

The guidance cites the requirement for a "backup system" to meet the requirements of the W@H Regs. which may be 2 ropes but can be achieved by other means (see sects 6.5 & 6.6 p.31-32).

Regards

Paul 

Yeah I saw that but it’s effectively the same thing. I think 2 lanyards is mega clunky so the other option is use a fall arrest on another rope. A fall arrest seems pointless too, when I could just use another rope wrench and at least have another system that is useful.