Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

2 hours ago, Jamie Jones said:

Just renewed my insurance for the year... ? It has basically doubled for Equipment, Public & Employer Liability...

Two Rope Climbing was mention and you have to comply as per ICOP. 

Does anyone know when ICOP will be finalised?

Can't understand why it would double... I think insurance are money grabbing bastards that are just out to capitalise on things....

Yours still just as competant as you were last year.... How has an additional rope and supposedly safer working techniques made your insurance go up? 

Bastards is the only word

8 minutes ago, swinny said:

Can't understand why it would double... I think insurance are money grabbing bastards that are just out to capitalise on things....

Yours still just as competant as you were last year.... How has an additional rope and supposedly safer working techniques made your insurance go up? 

Bastards is the only word

Till the shit hits the fan.

Well I dismantled a dead willow tree today.

One stem had failed last week.  One stem was pretty rotten and the last stem had a crack horizontally at about 5 metres.  The tree was resting in some dead bits in the last stem.

I did the tree with a single line.  Didn’t even use my flip line for a lot of it in case the compromised stem decided to collapse.

Guess what?  I lived to tell the tale.  

Education and experience is key, not throwing an extra rope in there.  I tied into the tree on one of the stems that was the most robust.

I wouldn’t have wanted to use an extra rope...  (as I said at times I didn’t even use the flip line for a lot of the cutting.)

... let alone be forced to.

As for the man who doesn’t believe in ‘what ifs?’ 

The whole safety aspect of the industry is to plan against the what if.  You know when and where to cut and when to know to bail out.

That is gained from experience.  Once again we are back to the education aspect and not another rope.

B8EBE4D4-6D0E-40F8-8AA6-BA7F2CD17B90.jpeg

05749D2B-9FF2-461C-AE3D-593C7A7D4CCA.jpeg

DA75EFE2-98C4-4200-99D1-DA5C6C0D9F4D.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Till the shit hits the fan.

? What you mean Mick? Wasn't saying to flout owt. Just saying how can it go up if using a supposedly more safer system.

I think the main problem is the amount of prats in this industry.... Hard to see how some have survived since off the nipple....

One lad told me Cari tool clips were banned on one site / firm due to some plonker clipping their main line to it..... 

16 minutes ago, swinny said:

? What you mean Mick? Wasn't saying to flout owt. Just saying how can it go up if using a supposedly more safer system.

I think the main problem is the amount of prats in this industry.... Hard to see how some have survived since off the nipple....

One lad told me Cari tool clips were banned on one site / firm due to some plonker clipping their main line to it..... 

What I mean is, everyone hates paying insurance, there’s no pleasure in having it, nothing tangible to enjoy.

But it’s a necessity, a cost to be passed onto your client.

• Like 1