Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

Oh well .. we'll see. Can't wear a fbh cos of a badly healed collarbone injury. 

Anyway .. today .. reducing a very big poplar with rigging .. went ok til you have to remove one of your 2 anchor points .. now what HSE? 

Keep crossing the systems on the bridge and having to reset them. System doesn't lend itself to trees. 

Edited by warren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh well .. we'll see. Can't wear a fbh cos of a badly healed collarbone injury. 

Anyway .. today .. reducing a very big poplar with rigging .. went ok til you have to remove one of your 2 anchor points .. now what HSE? 

Keep crossing the systems on the bridge and having to reset them. System doesn't lend itself to trees. 

You using 2 bridges? That helps a lot to keep systems separated.

Yeh i was being sarcastic with my comment. Their system makes a lot of sense to me but will never happen in our industry. If a level 3 had to go up a tree to inspect a L1's knots and anchor then he might as well do the job himself.

When I did my climbing course (circa 1999), and on assessment, we were expected to do a pre climb check of one another’s knots and harness, considering you should always have 2 climbers on a team it doesn’t seem too onerous to do this,

maybe if we had some sort of level 1 2 3 rules so an experienced climber is always mentoring.

Surely this would almost negate the kind of accidents regularly occurring in our industry and prevent people from just jumping in at the deep end post assessment

Also we, probably, wouldn’t be facing this ridiculous new system

When this thread started,a few weeks ago, I asked the lad we have out one day a week from college if they had started using 2 ropes and he said no...... 2 weeks later it was a yes!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, timbernut said:

When I did my climbing course (circa 1999), and on assessment, we were expected to do a pre climb check of one another’s knots and harness, considering you should always have 2 climbers on a team it doesn’t seem too onerous to do this,

maybe if we had some sort of level 1 2 3 rules so an experienced climber is always mentoring.

Surely this would almost negate the kind of accidents regularly occurring in our industry and prevent people from just jumping in at the deep end post assessment

Also we, probably, wouldn’t be facing this ridiculous new system

When this thread started,a few weeks ago, I asked the lad we have out one day a week from college if they had started using 2 ropes and he said no...... 2 weeks later it was a yes!

But you can't check their anchor point fully unless you are in the tree with them.........

I would trust my own tied fisherman’s on a vt or prussik loop over any spliced option , there are far more accidents down to petzl or ART gear failing in my view to.

The only time I’ve had a near miss was when a bit of ivy jammed my lockjack open and I dropped 20’ (from about 40’) I managed 2 grab a passing limb which stopped me but it felt like my arm was wrenched out of socket. Was very lucky

Just now, timbernut said:

The only time I’ve had a near miss was when a bit of ivy jammed my lockjack open and I dropped 20’ (from about 40’) I managed 2 grab a passing limb which stopped me but it felt like my arm was wrenched out of socket. Was very lucky

a backup system would have stopped that.

• Like 1