Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

4 hours ago, warren said:

As a supplier and hopefully someone with more knowledge of the systems available across the irata stuff too maybe you can suggest things.????

.. and it's good for your business too .. as I've just added another 162 to your bank balance ?

• Like 1

HSA,AA

I will continue to climb the trees as I see fit, not as you see fit. They are our trees to climb and bodies to climb with, not the governments or a regulatory body’s. 

We’ve done this for time immemorial and inevitably some fall...

Climb and cut to the best of your ability and respect people, property and nature. Let’s not let them control one of the best jobs going, ever! Happy and safe climbing to you all.

MF

I get what your are saying and feel the same way mostly... Except if you have guys working/subbing for you. If someone has an accident and you as employer aren't enforcing the two ropes thing it is pretty clear that's going to potentially get HSE all over it.

Another point is that having read the hse accident records as well as the mistakes (knots not being tied right, abbing off the end of the rope) there were a number of anchor failures. I think we have all descended from the tree and got halfway and thought 'I hope that anchor is ok'. Having a second rope does make sense in some situations. A second lanyard (giving 3 tie ins) is probably better most of the time though.

J.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MEF said:

HSA,AA

I will continue to climb the trees as I see fit, not as you see fit. They are our trees to climb and bodies to climb with, not the governments or a regulatory body’s. 

We’ve done this for time immemorial and inevitably some fall...

Climb and cut to the best of your ability and respect people, property and nature. Let’s not let them control one of the best jobs going, ever! Happy and safe climbing to you all.

MF

The old saying was "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach". I feel these days it is more appropriate to say "Those who can, do. Those who can't, regulate those who can".

On a separate note regarding the two ropes issue, I feel that common sense is overlooked too quickly, and replaced by regulation.

For example - always choose an anchor point that is thicker and stronger and healthier than the minimum requirement. If there is not one that has this margin of safety, just don't use it. Greenhouse glass is cheap to replace when you couldn't get a good enough work position to ensure no risk to the glass!

As for BT cables, if it looks like it could be iffy about getting far enough out to clear them, when doing the quote, tell the customer you'll do your best but if the cables get broken they will have to share the BT cost with you. If they think that is unreasonable, I don't want their custom.

I use one double rope and a short and long strop for all but the most basic of climbs.

• Like 4