Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

1 hour ago, TIMON said:

Hi Paul,
It’s interesting that the ‘new’ guidance allows for the use of single rope working for aerial rescue situations. Surely if two anchor points were reasonably practicable for all working situations then they would be for rescue situations as well?
The concession for one rope to be used in rescue scenarios seems to me to be an admission in itself that ‘two rope working’ isn’t really practical at all in the majority of situations.
Maybe the skill in navigating this new ‘guidance’ will not be in the tree but at the risk assessment stage.

For speed and efficacy I believe Timon...and your further summation is quite 'reasonable'...and 'practicable' ;)

Regards, and hope you're well,

Paul

• Like 1

For speed and efficacy I believe Timon...and your further summation is quite 'reasonable'...and 'practicable' [emoji6] Regards, and hope you're well, Paul    

You remind me of a bat trainer I did a seminar with once. He delighted in telling us we should have ‘due regard to’ and ‘proper procedures in place for’ ‘PBRs’ and other acronyms he thought made him sound superior. And he delighted himself further by steadfastly avoiding giving straight answers to questions like, “So let’s say that ash might have bats in. Could I cut that chestnut down then?” He didn’t give a fuck about what was right/wrong, good/bad etc. He just wanted to throw confusing and contradictory stuff out there, get paid and be back next year with updated jargon and a bigger bill.    

• Like 1

On 30/11/2019 at 17:34, openspaceman said:

Our guys got handed a multipage risk assessment  which  they were expected to read and comprehend while travelling to the job and had to sign that it was understood.

I'd love to see the risk assessment regarding the driver reading the risk assessment while driving to site! :confused1:

• Like 1

The biggest thing for me, at the smaller end is, the time and money. I can not belive that two ropes can be 'dangerous'.
It will be a make things more challanging for sure.
I cant belive small one man banders will take this up as it is effectively a mexican stand off.
Other arborists in my area probably dont even know about ropegate so how am i going to get any work if i am pricing to do it slower, all be it safer, with two ropes. It just wont happen so i will be forced to stick to the old system if i want to put food on the table and keep a roof over my head. As said on larger comercial stuff i don't think it will matter as most of it is about paper work than actually what happens on site.

For me most of the fatalities could be atributed to poor training and or poor work positioning, may be more monitoring and mentoring of individuals and assessors upping the game on the candidates they let loose.

• Like 2

Can anyone remember the last time someone failed an aerial arb training course I have not seen it happen I think that it is the basis of the problem anyone can pass the course even if they don’t have the skills required perhaps HSE should be looking at training rather than working practises to quote their mantra training reduces accidents. Not changing systems of working that have been used for approaching half a century in some form or other

personally I would like to see colleges responsible for students after they have completed the course perhaps then they would not be in such a rush to pass every student capable or not

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dumper said:

Can anyone remember the last time someone failed an aerial arb training course I have not seen it happen I think that it is the basis of the problem anyone can pass the course even if they don’t have the skills required perhaps HSE should be looking at training rather than working practises to quote their mantra training reduces accidents. Not changing systems of working that have been used for approaching half a century in some form or other

personally I would like to see colleges responsible for students after they have completed the course perhaps then they would not be in such a rush to pass every student capable or not

.....further to that Dumper, I bet most colleges ain't even considering the new rules yet ! K