Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

33 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Hi Paul - without wishing to derail this thread not everyone is on Facebook, would it be worth sharing the crane technical guide on Arbtalk as a thread too? (I’m fairly surprised you didn’t tbh). 

I’ve just seen it/read it/done the survey as a result of following this thread and think there is a fairly significant omission regarding tensioning before cutting. Looks very well thought through otherwise though, sorry if I sound negative!

Could you please share the link. In a new thread would be good. Thank you

• Like 1

14 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Hi Paul - without wishing to derail this thread not everyone is on Facebook, would it be worth sharing the crane technical guide on Arbtalk as a thread too? (I’m fairly surprised you didn’t tbh). 

I’ve just seen it/read it/done the survey as a result of following this thread and think there is a fairly significant omission regarding tensioning before cutting. Looks very well thought through otherwise though, sorry if I sound negative!

Hi there, not negative at all..."constructive criticism".

I will:

1. Get Head Office to post a formal link to the 'Crane' Technical Guide

2. Feedback your comments about the omission to which you refer.

Regards,
Paul

• Like 1

Hi All,

I just wanted to add that all the drafts of these Technical Guides have been promoted for industry consultation far and wide - which has been essential in shaping their content, so thanks to everyone who contributed.

Also to confirm that once the draft of the updated Technical Guide 1 is complete it will be open to consultation again, giving everyone a chance to feedback before the new guidance is finalised.

We'll post the ARB Magazine article which includes the timeline going forward and some frequently asked questions which hopefully will prove useful.

We're also developing a detailed FAQ webpage which will be available shortly.

We're developing demonstration videos, but we're also going to host some demonstration events in Spring 2020 which will also include Q&A sessions.

Obviously it was distributed through other channels too, but here is the original draft consultation for TG1 Arbtalk post:

• Thanks 1

Im not trying to offend any one but I’m still in complete disbelief that the power in this industry thinks this is a good idea still.. you obviously have not read the last 7 pages of this thread.. To summarise, do you really think the average climber has the skill set of the people like Ben rose who are demonstrating these systems ? They probably account for about 3-5% of the industry’s climbers... even so called Arb approved contractors I’ve seen struggle with a basic Prussik loop DDRT system and basic rope management, what do you think is going to happen when they are presented with this ? you will be creating more incidents in a tree trying to enforce this clusterfuck off ropes and trying to manage them .. that is guaranteed ! please wake up and try and do some thing useful this is not the common reason why they incidents are happening in the industry, over worked , poor pay ,lack of apprenticeships and bad training need addressing first.

• Like 25

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2019 at 20:24, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Big firms have office staff to deal with the paperwork and ensure token compliance is achieved which is then completely ignored when it gets to the sharp end -

Yes, it's used as an arse covering exercise so that the grunts get the blame. Our guys got handed a multipage risk assessment  which  they were expected to read and comprehend while travelling to the job and had to sign that it was understood.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Yes, it's used as an arse covering exercise so that the grunts get the blame. Our guys got handed a multipage risk assessment  which  they were expected to read and comprehend while travelling to the job and had to sign that it was understood.

...... Whilst updating their FB.. Like my last lot. K

Edited by Khriss
( attention span of a goldfish on a comedown)

Hi Paul,
It’s interesting that the ‘new’ guidance allows for the use of single rope working for aerial rescue situations. Surely if two anchor points were reasonably practicable for all working situations then they would be for rescue situations as well?
The concession for one rope to be used in rescue scenarios seems to me to be an admission in itself that ‘two rope working’ isn’t really practical at all in the majority of situations.
Maybe the skill in navigating this new ‘guidance’ will not be in the tree but at the risk assessment stage.

• Like 10