Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

58 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I don’t see remote anchors as a problem when accessing SRT.

You can route your line easily so you have plenty of backup from lower limbs if the top point were to fail.

Completely agree , I'm guessing the statics on anchor point failure are based on DDRT , mainly due to the nature of SRT not being around long and that very point of multiple back up from lower limbs . 

Do we now have to think tackling  a set of stairs is going to be working at height . We are in danger of complicating things as previously stated and I believe also its a method and industry not completely understood . 

• Like 1

Dont think anyone has mentioned how this will affect our quoting proccess.

Time is money!

The more time we spend selecting 2 tips,getting into the tree,working the tree with 2 ropes will take more time etc this will have a knock on effect in what we charge the customer,which in turn very well could result in part time charlies or the uninsured/un proffesional obtaining more work.

Not a safety point of view  but still pertinant to our industry

Edited by stihlmadasever
  • Like 5

I read through the 2004 report of “2 rope working” on NTPC/Lantra assessments from the HSE WAHR from groups around the country. The conclusions seem like it’s a confusing scenario and a difficult concept to grasp especially with trainees. I don’t understand why this method is being brought back to consideration when it seemed defunct after so many concerns raised.

My team will be trailing this method within the next 2 weeks incorporating rescue situations and I would like to report back. I guess I can only give constructive feedback once I’ve experienced this myself with a team.

The duties of ground based staff would be of a higher responsibility. Rope management as well as standard operations could be conflicting. Include rigging operations at the same time, then work efficiency would drop dramatically. 

Simple operations eliminates confusion. Education is paramount.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Well it is really. People will be getting prices wrong, and climbers will be in a hurry rushing to get work done as a result. This is probably one of the biggest causes of accidents at work.

No they won't, when was the last time you pulled your bollocks out?, most of us (any trade) are old enough and wise enough to get the job done without killing ourself.

3 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

No they won't, when was the last time you pulled your bollocks out?, most of us (any trade) are old enough and wise enough to get the job done without killing ourself.

I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about younger more inexperienced climbers who may feel under pressure from the boss 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about younger more inexperienced climbers who may feel under pressure from the boss 

...and that is EXACTLY THAT ... I have seen more 'incidents' cos 'We gotta get the job done ' .

Wot . OK. Remind yrself the wife wants you back in one piece ( you kno which piece ;) ) a wheelchair is fr life not just fr Christmas . The  gf has her eye on that wedding ring . Mum has yr birthday tea planned this sunday . Oh yea, but that ' rigging rope will do fr now ' bit late so I will just clip through these red lights on junction , lorry bit full ( an those front tyres are fucked from last week after MoT) but soaking wet from rain an not going back fr nothr load of chip ......

Any sound familiar ??? Can't just be me . K

• Like 2

On 10/09/2019 at 21:13, Steve Bullman said:

Well it is really. People will be getting prices wrong, and climbers will be in a hurry rushing to get work done as a result. This is probably one of the biggest causes of accidents at work.

I hadnt thought of it that way steve.

Your bang on 

Thanks