Working on tree's over the canal...

swinny

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Not entirely relevant but may be useful:  

If I'm reading that correctly CaRT can't insist that someone working on a tree on the off side of a canal is either trespassing or invading their airspace due to the  nature of the way many canals are constructed, IE, the towpath wall is a solid structure and the off side is often just a gras bank that will have been eroded. No jumping through hops required, I thought that was what I meant when I said it's got nothing to do with CaRT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

If I'm reading that correctly CaRT can't insist that someone working on a tree on the off side of a canal is either trespassing or invading their airspace due to the  nature of the way many canals are constructed, IE, the towpath wall is a solid structure and the off side is often just a gras bank that will have been eroded. No jumping through hops required, I thought that was what I meant when I said it's got nothing to do with CaRT.

Not sure in that context Egger!  If I found myself in that sort of scenario, and if time permitted, I’d perhaps send them a courtesy info of intent and wait to see if they replied and if they applied any conditions. If they did, I’d want to see reference to any legislation or authority. If they can’t or won’t demonstrate authority to impose conditions they could whistle. 

There is another dotGov page which details responsibilities of raparian land owners

7 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I remember you talking about " the off side " Eggs . I don't think . at the time , anyone understood what you meant by the off side .

27 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I remember you talking about " the off side " Eggs . I don't think . at the time , anyone understood what you meant by the off side .

Ok, I probably should have said the non towpath side. CaRT do own some off side but very little on a 2000 mile network yet they try to tell folk on that side of the cut what they can and can't do, the only thing that I can see @swinny HAVING  to have in place is boat management, and that will depend where on the network it is. Probably best to run with CaRT, as Mr Johnson says, if time allows.

My mooring was off side, the bollocks they used to try to give me and others on that mooring was unbelievable, first they'd send spotters along, then enforcement officers, then some office bod before the legal team started spouting bollocks, before we knew it Shoesmiths Solicitors would be involved, all for nonsense they couldn't enforce. The only thing CaRT have any say over on the off side is the water the boat sits in.

• Like 1

This was nothing to do with license fees, it was a protest by a farmer/ landowner about how he and his tenants were being treated by CaRT, he had buckets full of money to fight his corner and won the day.

NBINCA.BLOGSPOT.COM

After mooring just below engineers lock on the Napton flight we met up with our good friends Keith and Ann on Nb...