Which NEW Pick-Up for Towing

Jamie Jones

Which NEW Pick-Up for Towing?....   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which NEW Pick-Up for Towing.... If you going to get a  NEW Pick-Up for Towing a twin axle trailer (with a 2-3t Trailer and Load) which one would you get. I current Have an Isuzu D-Max Utah 2.5 and can't wait to get out of it. But every one I look at I seem to get advice from owners of not to buy one.

• New Ford Ranger 3.2l
    • New Nissan Navara 2.4l
    • New Mitsubishi L200 2.4l
    • New Toyota Hilux 2.4l
    • New Isuzu D-Max 2l

I’ve been looking into getting bags installed at the rear. A buddy of mine has had his boss install some on his new Hilux and seems to cope with the weight really well. I drive past a DVLA weigh bridge quite often on the A14 and I’m constantly worried that I’m going to get pulled even when I’m within the threshold as it bogs down so much. Especially when towing also.  
The hd springs make a difference and i managed take a leaf out of my old ones and squeeze it it when i fitted my new hd ones. Much better now
  • Thanks 1

On 10/09/2019 at 14:36, Stihl123 said:

yeh afraid they are. ain't may pickups that you can do 70 in though

however, i've let a few police follow me at 70 before to see what happens and i haven't been pulled yet so!!!

Even the traffic cops don't know the rules about pickups. I have a good mate who is a TC and I was following him somewhere one day in my Ranger. I made a joke with him about how he was going 70 all the way and he had no clue. He thought it was a "mixed use" vehicle or a standard car, by no means did he reckon it should be strictly commercial speed limits. 

On 13/09/2019 at 22:10, ForestryFinance said:

Even the traffic cops don't know the rules about pickups. I have a good mate who is a TC and I was following him somewhere one day in my Ranger. I made a joke with him about how he was going 70 all the way and he had no clue. He thought it was a "mixed use" vehicle or a standard car, by no means did he reckon it should be strictly commercial speed limits. 

haha thanks - good to know

Even the traffic cops don't know the rules about pickups.

That's true

He thought it was a "mixed use" vehicle or a standard car, by no means did he reckon it should be strictly commercial speed limits. 

I suspect you mean dual purpose, which have the same speed limits as cars.

The issue would be do the databases that are used to determine whether commercial vehicles are speeding contain any information about whether a 4wd pick up is dual purpose or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

That's true

I suspect you mean dual purpose, which have the same speed limits as cars.

The issue would be do the databases that are used to determine whether commercial vehicles are speeding contain any information about whether a 4wd pick up is dual purpose or not.

Yes true. The same TC has also given me a lot of useful insider info about the average speed cameras which blight the motorway that goes up past me. I've always had a level of immunity as I tend to only speed when I'm on the motorbikes, which are immune to most of the average cameras up here, but I did always wonder about the dual carriage way A9 which is on national speed limit, and if I was at risk from driving a commercial vehicle on it. 

My TC informant told me though that the drain on the PNC in identifying which vehicles were commercial and which were not would be unsustainable, and so the 70mph limit is applied to all. In actual fact, a more important nugget that let slip during that conversation is that as well as the cameras giving 10% grace and then some, they are only ever switched on at maybe 1 or 2 sections at a time  (a section being 2 cameras), as the administrative burden to having the full A9 switched on at all times would be more than the police can handle. 

Importantly, the police themselves see these cameras as a deterrent, not an enforcement tool, and I would say they do work like that, just because people can't really get their heads around how they work and it takes way less thought to just drive at 68 and be done with it. Annoying if you're trying to stick at 99 on the bike though...

Edited by ForestryFinance
Spelling errors.