Which NEW Pick-Up for Towing

Jamie Jones

Which NEW Pick-Up for Towing?....   

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which NEW Pick-Up for Towing.... If you going to get a  NEW Pick-Up for Towing a twin axle trailer (with a 2-3t Trailer and Load) which one would you get. I current Have an Isuzu D-Max Utah 2.5 and can't wait to get out of it. But every one I look at I seem to get advice from owners of not to buy one.

• New Ford Ranger 3.2l
    • New Nissan Navara 2.4l
    • New Mitsubishi L200 2.4l
    • New Toyota Hilux 2.4l
    • New Isuzu D-Max 2l

46 minutes ago, Ferguson system said:

Yes, that is true. Although, it shouldn't be a problem when it comes to documenting what they can actually tow and get them registered with that. The chassi number on US trucks is fairly easy to decode, and the documentation should be more than adequate.

Yes a simple job for Svtec to sort.

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Go on Jamie you know you want another Dmax ?

?? Sorry just not an option. Only one dealer within a 2x hour drive (4x Hour round trip) 
The Mid Wales Dealer David Taylor Garages Ltd is shockingly bad and the relationship broke down really badly so get warranty work done is an issue. I end up paying independent mechanics to do what should be warranty work.
I won't deal with the Mid Wale
s Isuzu Dealer due to the lies, bad workmanship, shockingly bad customer service.

1) Did a deal for a new £ 30k D-Max Utah and went to pick it up to find that they had sold it to someone else.
2) Cost me on insurance for change of vehicle and then cost me again to switch it back to my original vehicle.
3) Dealer Principle and Salesman promised to get another vehicle in and gave me a collection date.

- Checked to see if it was ready for collection the night before and it hadn't even been pdi'ed.
4) Dealer Principle promised promised it would be ready for a third collection date. Turned up and they was PDI'ing it and putting it together. Waited to late in the evening for it to be ready. (Can't fault the mechanic on this point as they did stay on and the problem was the dealer principle promising what they couldn't deliver).
5) Get the vehicle home to find out that as they had rushed it out they hadn't done a good job.
6) Boot line wasn't put in correctly and all cracked.
7) Where they fitted the tow bar and had to take the rear bumper off they failed to torque it up. It then miss aligned.
?  The boot tail gate dampener failed.
9) Had to go back in for new boot liner and tail gate dampener.

10)  Again the rear bumper came loose when towing and the Truckman canopy misaligned.  I had to pay an independent mechanic to put it right.
11) Boot tail gate damper failed again and I replaced that my self and at my own cost.
12) Step trim cracked within days (never sorted out)
13) After 3x months I realised that the dealership had failed to settle the finance on my trade-in. Lied by saying that they had and hadn't.
14) Promised to settle the finance and still hadn't after the 4th months payments went out. Had to threaten legal action to get the finance settled.
15) When they should have fitted a 13x pin electrical connector and tow bar kit that failed to do that and fitted a 7x pin connector and cut out the extra wires from the wiring loom that connected to the reversing lights.
16) I had a breakdown due to electrical issues. Issue break down would only tow me to the local dealer who I no longer trusted and wouldn't take my vehicle to any other dealer. So I paid and used a local mechanics to recover me and sort out what should have been a warranty issue.
17) Raised issues with Isuzu UK and they didn't even raise it with the dealership.
18) When someone posted on an Isuzu Facebook group as to if the dealership was good to deal with I gave them an honest appraisal. The Dealer Principle phoned me threatening legal action for slander saying it was all rubbish??. So we went through everything to prove it was all true and his response was... O' I didn't think that was all one customer ??... It was good to know I didn't get any special treatment ??.

19) The Dealer Principle wanted to make an amends and put forward the following solution in two parts:
    a) To drop in when passing to get the ECU / Regen update.
    b) A free 36,000 mile service as a gesture of good will (Now I have never been after any freebies and I have never tried to take up this aspect of the dealer principles offer).
    c) If I was to have any problems I should speak directly with the dealer principle.
20) Tried on two occasions to get the  ECU / Regen Update and even gave them notice and they wouldn't do it.
    a) Excuse 1: We only do it when your vehicle is being serviced and as I wasn't booking my vehicle in for service I couldn't get it done.
    b) Excuse 2: Too busy and would only do it when booked in in advance and when being serviced.
21) So that was the Dealer Principle's promise broken. So much for trying to make an amends.
22) I tried to contact the Dealer Principle on the matter and I have left two messages for a return call... No return call has ever been received.
23) Even raised the issue of customer service again with Isuzu UK and they copied all my concerns in to the Dealer Principle at David Taylor Garages Ltd. The Dealer Principle still has not responded or returned my calls.
24) So the reality is that the Dealership and the Dealer Principle has made more broken promises than plates at a Greek Wedding.
25) As for the D-Max Truck... It struggles to get off my drive in the morning with a twin axle trailer and light load with a combined weight of about 1.3t. It is also regen'ing every 80 miles and both of these issues have been there since brand new. But as there isn't a dealership within a 4x hour round trip that I trust so I can't get anything warrantied.

So in short I can't wait to get out of Isuzu ownership and owning another Isuzu is completely out of the question.

#David Taylor Garages Ltd #Izusu D-Max

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

My vote goes to the Ranger, there is still a few 3.2 and 2.2 at Ford, huge savings on the older power trains circa £3000, and £2000 scrappage, also 0%, i tow full up 3.5t with a 2.2 super cab and it goes well, ok it’s working hard but the engine loves to rev, the 3.2 is a lot less fussy but we like the 2.2, i had a run in the new 2.0 biturbo, impressed with the 10speed auto very smooth and it keeps the engine in its powerband very well, the new one did feel more car like and the difference was noticeable but not enough for me to change, we have only got 15k on the ones we have, on another note just put 4 new michelin latitude cross tyres on and they have transformed the 2.2, if anyone is considering at the moment i can supply these at cost price on a supply only basis, i have a target to hit WRT Michelin sales, we can also fit and will try and price match where possible, we do all sorts of vehicles from a Ford ka to Lamborghini’s based midlands [emoji106] IMG_4906.jpg

I got the Ranger as a GreenMech tow tug. Something in the order of 60k in the first year. No problems to report. Between 17 and 30 mpg, quite a lot of Adblue, especially after hard runs from the Midlands to the Highlands with close on max towing capacity! First set of treads lasted 40 and fitted BFG now, so that will more than double! Comfortable, well equipped and does what we want. Local Ford dealer is good but have had some truly bizarre episodes in other spots with previous 2.2 lemon.

14 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I pull a 2 tonne loader in a trailer most days in my Ranger.

2.2 with 145hp, I never feel I’m an embarrassment on the motorway or elsewhere if you know what I mean.

I know what you mean Mick . :001_smile:

36 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I pull a 2 tonne loader in a trailer most days in my Ranger.

2.2 with 145hp, I never feel I’m an embarrassment on the motorway or elsewhere if you know what I mean.

Seems there are plenty of power hungry drivers out there. My my old Hilux is only 120 HP and it's plenty for all I do. Maybe if I was pulling bigger loads a few more horses would be nice but who gets to go so fast you need loads of power? Stuck in a line of traffic doing 30-40mph is so much of driving these days and you dont need vast power to do that.

What I would say from the Dmax which had stacks of power IMO but it was not available where it was needed due to high gear ratios which seems to be a theme with most of the new trucks. It may well have been more than capable of doing 90+ mph but would have been much better if it was geared to run out of puff at 70 but with a really low 1st-2nd to get heavy trailers started uphills.

• Like 1

I love the Range Rover for the masses of torque and super smooth gearbox. Never do more than 60mph towing and not a fast driver when not towing but pulling 3.5t up steep hills from standstill and reversing fully loaded very slowly and smoothly is where I want power most. You’d have to rev the arse of the various pick ups I’ve had and kill clutches in the process.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

What’s the problems with the new Hilux?

I have one and it goes pretty well.  Granted, I don’t tow one a daily basis but it handles my ST8 without breaking sweat and I live in a hilly area.  Before I purchased I had a courtesy vehicle for 24 hours.  I put an Ifor Williams twin axle trailer on the back with a Forst TR8 and drove it for the day between jobs.  It was snowing like mad and hard pack on the roads.  I didn’t have chains or studs, just winter tyres and there was no problems.

Ok if you don’t mind being restricted to 60mph on dual carriageways.

im never in much of a hurry but that would put me off any vehicle personally