How Reliable Is Your Tree Stump Grinder?

Gardenequipment

I recently had a Predator 38 radio remote petrol stump grinder on loan while my Predator 28 radio remote was having the main cutter head bearings replaced. I used the Predator 38 for around 100 hours and it gave me no problems whatsoever, which is a little different to my Predator 28 machine that I purchased in October 2016. How do you find your stump grinder, is it problem free or does it need constant attention?

I really like the cutting efficiency of the Predator and the ability to narrow down to 26 inches, which is a great feature.

I have written and made a short video review of my experience with the Predator 38 and 28 stump grinders, I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Here is the link to the Predator 38 and 28 review.

Edited by Gardenequipment

Think that the firm I used to work at run/runs a 28. Can't remember any serious issues with it at all like you've recorded. 

Belts were good as long as you were really careful on their alignment, seldom needed looking at after fitting new ones and tensioning again after the first few hours. Batteries were never an issue, apart from once when an electrical fault was discharging it when it was turned off. Think we just replaced it with an off the shelf item. Engine, like most lombardinis I've worked on was A1. Keep up with maintenance and forget it.

Only problem was the remote control for a period, it would just disengage the cutting wheel and then fail to connect to the machine again. Messed about reading manuals for the controller/receiver but never found the cause. I think I went through all the electrics re-making connections/ cleaning ground connections etc and it came right.

Think you've been really unlucky with a friday afternoon special.

I've never got over the trauma of owning a used Carlton 4012 bought from 'Lemon Plant' 

The issues which caused serious 'McPain' (trademark) centered on the remote control system.

This was never completely resolved.

Bearings went at 500hrs so we had them changed to metric at some cost as it involved machining new axles.

Worst was the kingpin. That wore out rather quickly despite a strict grease regime.

We took it to the regional dealer in these machines who fixed it then welched on his quote and tried to charge us €4k+

However we had already collected the machine and so the dealer pleaded, wormed and failed to justify his invoice. We burned that bridge.

Now I run a wee fsib20.

Little to go wrong though very physical to use.

Pro-rata makes far more €€€ than the 4012.

Turned over it's purchase value in 9 months.

Stuart