Xillela fastidiosa

naturarbo

On 05/09/2019 at 14:18, naturarbo said:
WWW.MASTERBLASTERHOME.COM

Started havin some strange dry spots on olives.Sindrome of fast drying they say. What about you people,can I believe its...

As Steve said we don't come across Olives here much, but if you post some pictures of the symptoms you'll probably encourage some comment. 

Not 100% sure but I think to date that this disease hasn't arrived on our shores 'yet'.

Was talking to an Italian chap this morning about Xillela, big deal in one of the Italian regions. Millions of Olives totaled with it.  

Supposedly they were slow on the take up of stopping it. Sounds a little like the ADB situation. Not to be political about it. 

1 hour ago, AJStrees said:

Was talking to an Italian chap this morning about Xillela, big deal in one of the Italian regions. Millions of Olives totaled with it.  

Supposedly they were slow on the take up of stopping it. Sounds a little like the ADB situation. Not to be political about it. 

Think I remember there was an uproar about felling whole groves due to infection, simply removing growers livelihoods instantly.

ADB seems to have been widespread before it was even recognised. 

What's worrying locally is that nothing is in place to deal with it yet. There's no guidance online from LAs, other than what published 4-5 years ago. Nothing at all about how it affects the timber, how it can't be ignore or anything. I asked this week how planning were dealing with apps to fell infected ash, how much of the crown needed to be infected etc before they'd automatically  consent removal. Nothing, they hadn't yet conceived any policy/framework to deal with it.  This is our real first year seeing it in mature trees but the rapidity of it's spread through some trees is astonishing. In Denmark it was reported that mature trees might stand for up to ten years. Some of what I've seen are unsafe within twelve months just because of the size/length of the deadwood.

2 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

Think I remember there was an uproar about felling whole groves due to infection, simply removing growers livelihoods instantly.

ADB seems to have been widespread before it was even recognised. 

What's worrying locally is that nothing is in place to deal with it yet. There's no guidance online from LAs, other than what published 4-5 years ago. Nothing at all about how it affects the timber, how it can't be ignore or anything. I asked this week how planning were dealing with apps to fell infected ash, how much of the crown needed to be infected etc before they'd automatically  consent removal. Nothing, they hadn't yet conceived any policy/framework to deal with it.  This is our real first year seeing it in mature trees but the rapidity of it's spread through some trees is astonishing. In Denmark it was reported that mature trees might stand for up to ten years. Some of what I've seen are unsafe within twelve months just because of the size/length of the deadwood.

Yeah that would not be nice for the olive growers, surely there is some sort of insurance for that. But then again maybe not. 

On ADB - Agreed, what I cannot understand is that it has been known about in Europe since 1992, but I can't find anything as regards what the result was over there and the steps they took in Europe. I have seen some ash falling apart due to fairly usual canker, but at the same time symptoms of ADB are also prevalent  on the same tree which I am sure has helped the falling apart. The Tree Council issued an Action plan kit for use, but again it does not describe how ADB evolved in places where it has already happened. Lots of big ash around my way are close to dead with a few very big ash already kicked the bucket. So waiting to see what happens to them.  Saying that though when speaking with non-tree people, they have no idea what I am talking about when I tell them about ADB so it is not really a well known issue as yet in England imho.