Post knocker avant hire

seanycurran

10 hours ago, shillo said:

probably too far, South Devon. The knocker takes a bit of getting used to, its easy for the post to lean a bit. the auger is a good tool to but would require back filing and tamping by hand.

IMG_3103.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

Does the Avant have a free flow hydraulic return? I can only see one pipe on the post knocker.

Thanks for all the responses! South Devon is a tad far unfortunately, thank you though. The knocker does look good. I have seen a couple of videos of the protec one in operation and thought it looked pretty capable, I'm guessing they were fitted with 180kg hammer having looked at their website. I did think about auger and back fill but felt it would be more economical and stronger to ram them?

I think I will probably go down the contractor route to be honest, saves messing around and getting used to a piece of kit I doubt I will be using regularly. If the posts start deflecting off stone or twisting I'll likely be throwing my toys out the Avant every 20 minutes.

Cheers guys

On 04/09/2019 at 23:42, Matthew Storrs said:

Yes, but I think you’d want  the leg on the ground to support it, otherwise think it would be bouncy and would place quite a lot of strain on the loader. A longer leg perhaps... 

Hang on a minute, you're the bloke who told me to put a chain on mine between mast and knocker plate and cut the leg off! Which has worked a treat for the last five years- let's you put a bit of weight onto the post and after a couple of knocks it's all pretty stable, much more so than relying upon a leg, which with little weight being transferred to the actual pivot of the machine means it's all over the place.

Have you gone mad or is it me???

53 minutes ago, doobin said:

Hang on a minute, you're the bloke who told me to put a chain on mine between mast and knocker plate and cut the leg off! Which has worked a treat for the last five years- let's you put a bit of weight onto the post and after a couple of knocks it's all pretty stable, much more so than relying upon a leg, which with little weight being transferred to the actual pivot of the machine means it's all over the place.

Have you gone mad or is it me???

Haha, no, I’m not eating my words but my reply was in relation to someone who said raise the machine to get the height. I guess you could take the same approach as you and i have, only on a loader instead. Although not convinced you get the same finesse getting it as straight as conveniently as with a digger mounted machine- which I may add nothing  touches IMO for versatility and usability when in the right hands.

391342AB-9873-49E7-8523-693AE3D51AD8.jpeg

D5F64E6F-271E-4223-A1F0-5C22E04D4178.jpeg

31A684A3-7A32-404F-BAC6-FB9E4FF11EDD.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/09/2019 at 20:23, seanycurran said:

Hi all,

I'm currently pricing 200m of nailed post and rail, not something we normally do but is part of a bigger job. I was wondering if anybody knew of someone who hires a post knocker for a Avant in the West Sussex/Surrey/Hampshire area?

Cheers,

Sean

I have a Protech knocker that would go on an avant with a bracket easy enough. Or I can just come hit them in with the tractor, or hire you a digger and knocker!

based just south of basingstoke